New with Russian tortoise,and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpcullum

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,
My name is Logan, and I just got a Russian tortoise about a week ago. I've looked up what I can about them, but I still don't know too much. Anyway, she has been sleeping under her heat lamp all the time, and doesn't eat in the enclosure. I have the temperature at 90ish under the lamp, and high 60's/ low 70's on the far side of the enclosure. The humidity I've kept around 55/60%. When she goes outside she's fine (it's currently 80 in MD) she eats weeds, and wanders around. But in the enclosure she only stays under the heat lamp, buried partially in the substrate, and sleeps, is there something wrong, and what can I do? Thanks for your help![/font]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I don't really know what to tell you, except try raising your cooler side to the upper 70's and see if that works to get him out from under the hot spot. Be sure to soak him every other day while he keeps himself under the hot spot too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Logan, and welcome to the Forum!!

Russian tortoises are much happier (if "happy" can be attributed to a tortoise) outside. If it is at all possible, a permanent outdoor habitat is preferable.

If you absolutely MUST have the tortoise indoors, then let's make some adjustments...

With the light positioned over one end, directly under the light it should be 100 to 103F degrees, fading to about 80F towards the end and to room temp towards the other end...but not below 70F or so. A full grown Russian tortoise can withstand cooler temps, so getting that end down to, say, 65F or so is ok, but be sure that it's hotter on the other end.

If you wet your substrate and stir it up with your hand, then allow the top layer to dry out, that's all the moisture you need for a full grown Russian tortoise. I like orchid bark or cypress mulch, but some folks swear by a mixture of coco coir/dirt/sand.

You should also have a waterer/drinker in the habitat so the tortoise can hydrate as it sees fit. A once a week forced soak would be in order, because sometimes Russian tortoises don't drink on their own.

lpcullum

5 Year Member
Thanks for your help Yvonne, and wellington, and thanks for the welcome everyone! What would be the best way to heat the rest of the enclosure? What do you all use for your tortoises? Also, is there a better bulb for the basking spot that would get to the appropriate heat?

kakoenig

5 Year Member
lpcullum said:
Thanks for your help Yvonne, and wellington, and thanks for the welcome everyone! What would be the best way to heat the rest of the enclosure? What do you all use for your tortoises? Also, is there a better bulb for the basking spot that would get to the appropriate heat?

Hi Welcome!
I am new as well! I heat my lady's enclosure with seed mats. They are normally used to start the germination process of plants by heating up the soil. They are water/poop/soil proof. They can be used in conjunction with heat emitters or lights. I also have found value in a laser temp reader. It give me accurate temps in all parts of her enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.