new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted

5 Year Member
Hello my name is Ted obiously... i'm new to the site and new to turtles and tortoises' alike. i've been thinking about getting one of the two for a while but don't know enough about them to make up my mind. i'm leanin toward a tortoise. anyones info would really help. this seems like the place to be for info!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ted:

Welcome to the forum!

We have to know a bit about you before we can recommend a tortoise for you. Where are you located? Do you have a nice big yard? Is there an in-the-ground pool? A dog? Are you willing to build a tortoise pen outside and maybe an indoor habitat too?

Ted

5 Year Member
i live in minnesota so out side is only ok in the summer. i would prefer him to be a breed that didn't get huge. i'm willing to make a setup inside also. i have a son that is almost 2 but is well mannered. i do not have dogs either. i have a good size yard but no pool.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the TFO Ted:) if you do not want one that does not get to big how about a Greek,Hermann's or maybe a Redfoot :cool: what are you thinking ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually recommend two tortoises for indoors, Russians and Redfoots.

The Russian tortoise doesn't get very big and is a pretty personable tortoise. Becomes a "pet" in no time at all. You WILL need to buy an expensive UVB light, though, in order to keep him healthy and good bones and shell.

The Redfoot gets a bit bigger and will require a pretty good-sized indoor habitat during the winter months, but he will get his Vitamin d3 from his food and won't need a heavy-duty UVB light, and you can get by with one of the lesser-output UV lights for him. They also become pretty tamed and personable.

So, look around our different forums and see the pictures we've put up of our habitats and see what might fit in with your life style.

Status
Not open for further replies.