newbee from England

Status
Not open for further replies.

angiemoth

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
My name is Angie and I live in Berkshire, England. My daughter and I have bought our first ever tortoise last week, a 2yr old Russian, which she has named 'Shelly' until she knows what sex it is in a couple years time. We have a table set up with top soil/sand mix substrate in the play area, basking and feeding area, and then wood shavings in the bed which she likes to bury herself at night. There is also timothy hay in the play area.
I would like to know how damp I need to keep the soil as I noticed this morning that one eye was a bit wet and the white eyelid was visible. I researched this and saw that it could be too dry? We bath her every morning and also leave the bath ( a plant pot saucer) in the corner of the cage all day so she has free access. She sits in it happily for 10 mins or so then gets out herself. After reading this today I have since sprayed the soil with water to dampen it down and put Shelly back in a fresh warm bath, which she only sat in for 2-3 mins before getting out. Her eye does not seem so bad now.
Any helpful advice would be gratefully appreciated as we really are novices.
thank you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:) Hi and welcome! What made the two of you decide on a tortoise? :) How much sand do you use in your mixture? Asking because to much (over 20%) can be a bit too much and increase impaction risks. Lower levels are fine with the normal healthy animal, so no worries there. May I also ask what type of wood shavings did you use, as they can be either good or not so favorable for using. Watch the hay for molding. You have already answered you own question on how often to wet down the substrate, correct? Sounds like you are off to a great start!:) What lighting are you using and what temps? What are ou feeding?

Once more, welc
ome to TFO and to tortoise keeping. :tort:

angiemoth

5 Year Member
Hi. It was my daughter who was 9 last week that wanted it for her birthday, she's always been fascinated by them and when we went to turkey on holiday earlier this year she held a baby one and that sealed it! Not stopped talking about them ever since! I had always said she had to wait till she was 10 but decided to let her have it earlier. I have to admit that I was just as excited!
The soil mix was a ready mixed tortoise substrate from the pet shop that was suitable for Mediterranean so I assumed it would be okay? It is made by a reptile company. Temp wise it is 106f directly under the heat lamp but she lays around the edge wherever it suits her, the bed hut has largish wood flakes that came with the table when I bought it, she loves burrowing down in it to sleep and it's around 75-85f in there I think. Then down the other end is in the 60's I think. I'll have to double check this tomorrow to be sure. I've been feeding her komodo pellets soaked in water till soft, dried flowers from the online tortoise shop, fresh rose petals, kale, black cabbage leaf (small amount), spinach leaves, broccoli head (small amount) , tomato (not leaves), baby salad leaves, rocket and carrot so far, sprinkled with the reptivite powder. She does eat quite well, i only feed her once in the morning, a small plant pot saucer full, and leave it all day till she goes to bed around 8-9pm. It's funny, she just takes herself off to bed, then comes out around 9am. I put the lights on around 8am and turn off around 9 -10pm. The heat lamp is 75watt ceramic
And the other is spiral uva and uvb.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

How sweet! I haven't worked out how to put a photo on yet but will do. How old is he/she?

Also I'm not sure how often to spray the soil or how wet to go?

Hi! :)

I also bought a propagator and am growing tortoise weed mix but they're not ready yet :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Angie!

angiemoth

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne and thank you!
I have just read a thread on here about swollen eyes and it was a spiral uva bulb causing it, i have one of these too, do you reckon it is this that has caused my torties sore eye today? What do I get instead?

angiemoth

5 Year Member
I went yesterday and bought the arcadia d3 all in one mercury bulb and is much better. Also got some cypress to mix in the soil and some aspen for the bed. Do I still need to spray this down with water and how often?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: newbee from England

angiemoth said:
I went yesterday and bought the arcadia d3 all in one mercury bulb and is much better. Also got some cypress to mix in the soil and some aspen for the bed. Do I still need to spray this down with water and how often?

Good move and replacing the coil UVB. Now that you have MVB bulb, it will dry out the substrate and air considerably faster as it produces large amounts of radiant heat. Russians dont need as much humidity as other species, 50% is ideal. There should however be a more humid hide.
How often you will need to spray the substrate down depends on your set up.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Welcome to the forum! Please send some Yorkshire pudding ASAP!

angiemoth

5 Year Member
Ok I'll try and put photos on.

Attachments

• 1379346111080.jpg
    1379346111080.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 1379346984759.jpg
    1379346984759.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1379347003872.jpg
    1379347003872.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1379347045987.jpg
    1379347045987.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 16
  • 1379347060337.jpg
    1379347060337.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 18

tortoisesarecute

5 Year Member
This is what my torts house looks like ImageUploadedByTortForum1379353675.784211.jpg sorry for the quality it is bad lighting

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.