Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
When you read 40% humidity, you were reading the old info. Most books, vet, experts and breeders, still recommend that they be kept dry. They are wrong, and people like Neal and I, have the smooth tortoises to show it.

You've got to decide which way you want to go and then go that way. If you raise your tortoise the way the books say to do it, it WILL pyramid. If you follow Neal's care sheet, or mine, it won't.

I would never raise a tortoise in an open cage like the one you describe. I did in the past and got lots of pyramiding. Now I use closed chambers because they make maintaining perfect temps and humidity easy.

Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

About the CHE: You leave it on 24/7. The thermostat turns it on and off depending on the temperature. Beck explained it well.

trusty

5 Year Member
Tom said:
When you read 40% humidity, you were reading the old info. Most books, vet, experts and breeders, still recommend that they be kept dry. They are wrong, and people like Neal and I, have the smooth tortoises to show it.

You've got to decide which way you want to go and then go that way. If you raise your tortoise the way the books say to do it, it WILL pyramid. If you follow Neal's care sheet, or mine, it won't.

I would never raise a tortoise in an open cage like the one you describe. I did in the past and got lots of pyramiding. Now I use closed chambers because they make maintaining perfect temps and humidity easy.

Like this:

About the CHE: You leave it on 24/7. The thermostat turns it on and off depending on the temperature. Beck explained it well.

TOM can I temporarily cover half the cage in the aluminium foil for now?? Or is that going to cause a problem with the uv/heat and ceramic bulb?

trusty said:
Tom said:

Like this:

TOM can I temporarily cover half the cage in the aluminium foil for now?? Or is that going to cause a problem with the uv/heat and ceramic bulb?

UP to what age would you use a closed chamber????

Presumably the above would all apply even though I am in France where the weather is totally different to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.