Outdoor UV question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurisu

5 Year Member
Hi. I'm new to the forum. I bought a 1 year old leopard tortoise. I was using a coil UV bulb until I found out about coil bulbs causing eye problems. I ordered a Zoomed Powersun 100w UV bulb and waiting for its arrival in 5-6 days. In the mean time, I've been placing him outdoors for about 2 hours a day. I was wondering if that's too long or too little time under the sun. What's a good amount of time for him to be out in the sun? If it helps, I live in Hawaii.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
2 hours sound about right, my 2 baby leopards get between 1 and 2 hours a day right now. (natural sunlight)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At a year old and in HI, he just just live outside 24/7. I guess it does depend on your temps and where in HI you are. You don't need an MVB. You can just use a regular incandescent flood bulb. With your tortoise getting hours of equatorial sun all year long, you do not need to provide an artificial indoor uv source.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah, if you're in Hawaii, you more than likely should be able to keep the tortoise outside 24/7. 2 hours is good, but more is better in my opinion, especially for a one year old.

Provided the tortoise has enough shade and places to hide, I don't think that there is such thing as a tortoise getting too much sun.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tortoises (or other animals) cannot overdose on vitamin D provided by the sun. That is not the same as saying 'they cannot have too much sun' because there are still things like heatstroke, exposure, etc. to think about.

However, as far as anyone can tell, it only takes a couple hours a week, spread over a few days, to become fully charged with vitamin D, so your guys should be fine and you should be able to cancel the special bulb order.

kurisu

5 Year Member
Thanks Dmmj, Tom, Neal, and Madkins007 for your answers. I can finally stop stressing over this specific issue and get back to stressing over other ways to help make him grow up as healthy as possible. :D

kurisu

5 Year Member
Tom said:
At a year old and in HI, he just just live outside 24/7. I guess it does depend on your temps and where in HI you are. You don't need an MVB. You can just use a regular incandescent flood bulb. With your tortoise getting hours of equatorial sun all year long, you do not need to provide an artificial indoor uv source.

Sorry for such a "newbie" question but what would the incandescent flood bulb do for my tortoise? This is the first time I'm hearing about the use of such a bulb. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.