Newbie Leopard Tortoise; Hatchling Enclosure

Mefisher89

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte
I'm planning on getting a hatchling leopard tortoise in the next few weeks. I've started an enclosure, how's it look? I plan to have a heating lamp and uv lamp. I also have an understand heating pad. My substrate is half sand half organic topsoil. I have some moss and tyme planted. The hide is some bark which I plan to add moss inside. Any other suggestions? I'm very new to tortoise care so any advice is appreciated!

IMG_20180812_200602.jpg IMG_20180812_200611.jpg IMG_20180812_200614.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Please read these two threads on Leopard tortoise care.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

1. Sand is not a safe material to be used as a substrate. Do not use it. It is an outdated and potentially dangerous option.
2. The water/feed dish you currently in your enclosure is not ideal for tortoises/hatchlings. Get something with lower walls and submerge it into the substrate to make it easier for hatchlings to go in and out of. Plant saucers are highly recommended. I prefer square/rectangle ones myself.
3. What are the dimensions the enclosure in the picture? It doesn't look very spacious to me. Generally I like to recommend larger enclosures so new owners do not have to continually buy or build additional enclosures when their tortoise outgrow them. You might also want to get started on planning/building a large permanent outdoor enclosure for your Leopard sometime in the near future.
4. The link provided should include recommendations on lighting setups. A basic setup for a hatchling Leopard is 1x basking light 100F 12-14 hr, 1x uvb reptile rated florescent tube 12-14hr, and 1x ceramic heat emitter to keep your cool end at a constant 80F day and night. Humidity levels should also be at a constant 80% day and night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm very sorry to say but that enclosure looks way too small even for a hatchling. When the enclosure is too small the temps are too hard to get right. The enclosure needs a water dish of a clay saucer the kind that go under flower pots, big enough for them to get into, the dish you have is too small and a food dish, which a flat piece of tile works best. They also need a hide and room to exercise/walk around. As you can tell, your enclosure is too small to fit everything needed. Also do not use the heat mat or sand.

Mefisher89

Charlotte
Hey guys, thanks for the input. The pictures don't really show scale well, this is the tank size: 36x18x12 . It's a Exo Terra Natural Desert Reptile and Amphibian Low Terrarium size: Large. My hide is pretty large as well, which is probably taking up too much space. So no heat pad for the cool side? I have a thermostat that can keep the temperature around 75-80 degrees. What substrate is best? I say it's half sand but honestly the soil kind of over takes it and it's mostly beaten down dirt. I'll definitely switch out the dish.

Mefisher89

Charlotte
I should also add that I have a pretty awesome outdoor enclosure set up for him/her. We have a small courtyard with a privacy fence all around. I plan to have a smaller enclosure with in the courtyard until the tortoise gets big enough to have the run of it. We live in North Carolina so I'll also have a shelter set up with heat for fall days.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hey guys, thanks for the input. The pictures don't really show scale well, this is the tank size: 36x18x12 . It's a Exo Terra Natural Desert Reptile and Amphibian Low Terrarium size: Large. My hide is pretty large as well, which is probably taking up too much space. So no heat pad for the cool side? I have a thermostat that can keep the temperature around 75-80 degrees. What substrate is best? I say it's half sand but honestly the soil kind of over takes it and it's mostly beaten down dirt. I'll definitely switch out the dish.

The pictures do clearly indicated how narrow and small the enclosure really is. Simply put, you don't want to buy/build an enclosure for a tortoise's current size. You want to buy/build something big so they can grow into it.

Your 3 L x 1.5 W x 1 H feet indoor enclosure does not provide much room for any tortoise hatchling. Tortoises require long and wide enclosures. They need large spaces to allow different ranges of temperatures so they can regulate their body heat.

The reptile pet branded equipment you see on the market are usually not adequate for tortoises. They're re-purposed equipment originally intended for other reptiles with lesser needs.

Sand can cause impaction. When ingested, it can cause blockages that will result in some serious health complications.

Read the linked threads I provided above and others relating to Leopard tortoises in the forum to learn more about what to use and what else you'll need to change out.

Mefisher89

Charlotte
Thank you for the advice. I have to say I am a little confused reading through the fourms. I've seen people post pics of their leopard tortoise hatchling enclosures and they are the same size as mine. Many people reply and say that it looks great? Here is one example. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-leopard-tort-hatchling-mom.87985/

Of course this is a very temporary enclosure. I plan on bringing the tortoise outside next spring when the temperatures get warm enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I like to keep babies in large plastic tubs - a much cheaper option due to the fact it's not a permanent home. You can buy a large plastic tub with much more floor space than your aquarium, for quite a bit less money. That way, with more floor space, you'll have more room to add all the "furniture" your new baby is going to require: a tile or rough stone for feeding, a waterer, a couple hiding places and some sight barriers (plants, big rocks, etc.).

With a plastic tub/tote, you keep the lid, cutting out holes for the lights. Did you talk about your lights? You'll need UVB light and a heat light. Here's what I use:

This one provides UVB:
UVB light.jpg

and this one is heat only, with no light:
ceramic heat emitter.jpg

You can buy them off amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ix=22"+fluorescen,pets,503&crid=34BQEKC8021TF

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=100+watt+CHE&rh=n:2619533011,k:100+watt+CHE

You can buy the fixture off amazon too, but I've always bought mine off lightyourreptiles.com.

And on the lighting note: If you continue to use your aquarium, and place the lights on the screen, the screen filters out a good portion of the beneficial UVB rays, so it would be best to cut holes for the light to shine through.

I like to keep my baby enclosures 80-85F all over the whole enclosure, with no hot side/cool side. And I measure the temperature on the floor of the enclosure, not up on the side wall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you for the advice. I have to say I am a little confused reading through the fourms. I've seen people post pics of their leopard tortoise hatchling enclosures and they are the same size as mine. Many people reply and say that it looks great? Here is one example. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-leopard-tort-hatchling-mom.87985/

Of course this is a very temporary enclosure. I plan on bringing the tortoise outside next spring when the temperatures get warm enough.

That thread is 4 years old. Tortoise-keeping is growing and changing. Scroll down in that thread and read Team Gomburg's post (#4) and look at her pictures.

I don't see pictures of the enclosure in that thread other than Team Gomburgs. ?? If your aquarium is that same size, then you should be able to fit in the same type of things she has in hers. In which case, it should do nicely for a year or so, with the adjustments for the light, waterer, etc.

Last edited:

Mefisher89

Charlotte
Thanks. Definitely going to add some stuff and make it cozy. How big do they have to be before living outside?