Newbie looking for some good

Raaron3087

Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Florida
Newbie here asking for alittle direction on how to setup my tortoise table. What’s the best substrate to use, better UV light to showcase the enclosure l, better heating lamp and also what other decorations and things to add to their space. Pictures below of how it’s setup now.

Briefly these tortoises and table were a rehome I got a few hours ago. One is a high white leopard tortoise and the other is a red head red foot I believe. The substrate is moss and it has a cheap 10” uv bulb and a ceramic 100w heat bulb that hardly put out heat.

Raaron3087

Gainesville, Florida
Newbie here asking for alittle direction on how to setup my tortoise table. What’s the best substrate to use, better UV light to showcase the enclosure l, better heating lamp and also what other decorations and things to add to their space. Pictures below of how it’s setup now.

Briefly these tortoises and table were a rehome I got a few hours ago. One is a high white leopard tortoise and the other is a red head red foot I believe. The substrate is moss and it has a cheap 10” uv bulb and a ceramic 100w heat bulb that hardly put out heat.

Attachments

• IMG_2269.jpeg
    IMG_2269.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2272.jpeg
    IMG_2272.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2271.jpeg
    IMG_2271.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

A few things should be addressed first:
1. Redfooted and leopard tortoises should be housed in separate enclosures. They have different requirements (humidity, temperatures, diet, lightning/heating). Also, tortoises generally don't do well in pairs.
2. You can use fine grade orchid bark for both species. Or coco coir (coco peat). Plain moss is an unsuitable tortoise substrate, also some tortoises eat it to extent of getting lethal impaction.
3. Both tortoises need high humidity (80%+) environment at the moment (adult leopard won't need high humidity). This can be achieved by placing sterlite container or greenhouse top over the table you have, wrapping the mesh in tin foil and so on.

This post is a good introduction to tortoise care (lightning, diet, enclosures and so on):

Ask questions, brainstorm ideas, raise concerns - we'll try to help.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Here is the housing info for the redfoot

and here for the leopard

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!

Your photos haven’t attached, but just to check, they are housed separately? Definitely don’t mix species.

No moss either, it can cause impaction if eaten.

For the red foot you’ll find it easier relying on ceramic heat emitters as your heat source. They don’t really need a basking bulb as they aren’t really a basking species.

For the leopard, the basking bulb you need is an incandescent floodlight.

For the uv for both, you want a t5 tube fluorescent bulbs, zoo med and Arcadia are the brands to go for.

What ages are we talking too? Babies or adults?

This thread below will be super useful for you to go through for a baby red foot, it covers absolutely everything from appropriate equipment, levels, maintaining humidity and there’s a good diet list

This is the one if they’re an adult

Here’s one for the leopard

Lastly, this thread is handy to go through to avoid incorrect equipment(which is easily done) and materials etc

Hope this all helps! Give them a read and come back with any questions you may have😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hopefully the responses here and the one I left on your other thread help!😊
They definitely both need separating into their own closed chamber set ups asap with the right lighting&heating

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Just in case you other gets deleted for being a duplicate here’s my other response;

No moss, it can cause impaction if eaten.

For the red foot you’ll find it easier relying on ceramic heat emitters as your heat source. They don’t really need a basking bulb as they aren’t really a basking species.

For the leopard, the basking bulb you need is an incandescent floodlight.

For the uv for both, you want a t5 tube fluorescent bulbs, zoo med and Arcadia are the brands to go for.

I can see they are quite young now.

This thread below will be super useful for you to go through for a baby red foot, it covers absolutely everything from appropriate equipment, levels, maintaining humidity and there’s a good diet list

Here’s one for the leopard

Lastly, this thread is handy to go through to avoid incorrect equipment(which is easily done) and materials etc

Hope this all helps! Give them a read and come back with any questions you may have🥰

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You've gotten some great advice...The torts MUST be separated...here is how I keep my Redfoot. This greenhouse says 85 degrees w/85 to 90% humidityDSCN2331.JPG
see the humidity?DSCN2330.JPG.

Attachments

• DSCN0989.JPG
    DSCN0989.JPG
    524.3 KB · Views: 1