Newbie needing help please!

smurfie227

So after a lot of consideration I have decided to get a tortoise but it is such a minefield! I'm scared of buying from the wrong person or following the wrong advice so I thought this would be the best way to find out.

I have decided on a Hermann's due to size and adaptation to UK climate but there's a fair few questions:
1. I have read that it is not advised to buy a hatchling unless very experienced. Is this true? I would love to raise my tortoise from as young as possible but I also obviously want to care for it properly.
2. What is the recommended size housing? I have seen people with houses a bit like hamster cages? I will get an outside run but I want to keep my tortoise inside overnight but I'm not sure how much they roam or what space they will need when inside.
3. I have also read that if tortoises are kept in a warm house they only need a heat lamp when it gets cooler? I am wary of leaving a heat lamp on all day if there is no one in the house, should this be on at all times when the tortoise is inside?
I have loads more questions about food and bedding and things but first I just want to know that I will be able to provide the right set up.
Sorry to sound useless but this is all new!
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
1) In my opinion, as long as you follow the care sheets on this site and the advice of the experienced people here, you can successfully raise a healthy and vibrant tort from a hatchling.
2) The bigger, the better. The people housing tort's in something as small as a hamster cage are not housing their tort's properly. Outside is better, but you don't want to put a tort outside until they're older. As a hatchling they will need to be inside but can have daily excursions outside for an hour or more as long as they are heavily supervised.
3) A UVA basking bulb is needed all day, along with a UVB bulb that is not a coil bulb, as coil bulbs have been proven to damage their eyes, sometimes to the point of blindness. If kept inside, these bulbs are necessary for good health and proper husbandry.

Basically you can go to the Hermann's section of the forum and read the care sheets, ask a million questions, and learn all you can. This forum is one of the most up to date chelonian resources available.
Your best bet is to NOT LISTEN TO ANY PET STORE PEOPLE. 98% of the time they are completely wrong and stuck in their ways, don't know what they're talking about and just trying to make a sale, or just don't care.
Finding a good reptile vet familiar with tort's and turtles should be one of the things you do before you get a tort. There is a forum section on here with a list of known reptile vets for each state in the US, and I believe other countries in the world. I don't know if every country is listed as I am a US resident and tend to stick to the US vet lists. This is important in case a medical issue comes up and a vet is needed because a good number of vets think they know what they're talking about when treating a chelonian, but it turns out they don't and are actually harming the poor animal and perpetuating false information to the owner and others. So finding a vet that knows what they're doing and is open to suggestions if needed is important.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good info already given, along with the avoid care sheet. Read it, and then read again and then mark if so you can easily find it, cause you will refer back to it many times. Eventually it will get imbedded in your brain. Well most of,it will. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

smurfie227

Thanks guys, just want to make sure I get everything right! Also, any recommendations for a good combined UVB/heat lamp?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
1) It is easier to raise a slightly older, juvenile tortoise than a hatchling, especially for your first tortoise, but as long as you research here extensively and get your set up right before you begin, then a hatching is not out of the question.
2) two feet by three feet is okay for hatchlings, but older torts will need 4' by8' minimum.
3) Use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) if you want combined light, heat and uvb. However in the UK at night you will need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) on a thermostat, that produces heat but no light as tortoises need complete darkness to sleep properly.
Try http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
for more useful info.
Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions you may have.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I use a ZooMed Powersun MVB. It provides heat and UV in one bulb. Like others have said, you will need another heat source at night (CHE) since the MVB has to be turned off in order for it to be dark so the tortoise can sleep.

Glad you are here and keep asking questions!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I thought that they did not need a heat lamp at night time as it is meant to be cooler for them?
Yep, low seventies at night is fine.
If you can achieve that in your house in the UK that's fine, otherwise you'll need night heating.
Chris's care sheet says they are capable of withstanding lower temps at night, but not if they're very young. And no drafts or cold rooms.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I thought that they did not need a heat lamp at night time as it is meant to be cooler for them?
If your house stays warm enough you may not need a night heat source, but for a hatchling it would probably be wise to use a CHE and put it on a thermostat so that you can make sure the temperature stays consistent.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HI smurfie I am in the UK too but I have a 3/4 year old leopard tort which doesn't hibernate, but the general equipment is the same, just possibly diff temps.
I use MVB for the day because that gives heat, light and vital UV rays in one bulb - easy.
You could run it through a circuit breaker plug if you are worried about it.
The bulb is in a ceramic holder with a reflector shade.
Hang the bulb over the enclosure rather than clip them on the side as clamps have been known to fail and could be a fire hazard.
MVB from Pets at Home £39 (Arcadia Mini D3)
Lamp holder £25 ish from P a H or The Range (80w at the moment)

At night I use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) run through a thermostat so it will switch on and off as needed. (No light as torts need darkness to sleep) This is in another lamp holder (as above). Can also use this for extra heat in winter with the MVB
CHE £21ish at The Range (Komodo)
Thermostat £35ish also The Range.(Komodo)
Lamp holder same as above so another £25 (Komodo)

No coil or red bulbs.

It is expensive to start but worth getting it right because it will cost a lot more in vet fees if you don't!

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Lyn that's very helpful! Can't wait to start buying it all!
You need to decide if you're going for viv or table with substrate - see what the care sheet recommends for Hermanns.(for both)

You will also need a temp gun, digital thermometer/ humidity meter (Amazon)
Water dishes can just be inexpensive terracotta plant saucers.
If you are buying your tort from a pet shop check anything they try to sell you here first as they like their profits!

smurfie227

You need to decide if you're going for viv or table with substrate - see what the care sheet recommends for Hermanns.(for both)

You will also need a temp gun, digital thermometer/ humidity meter (Amazon)
Water dishes can just be inexpensive terracotta plant saucers.
If you are buying your tort from a pet shop check anything they try to sell you here first as they like their profits!
I have found a breeder near me who has all the relevant paperwork, I'm just avoiding pet shops altogether. I'm going for a table with substrate. My partner is going to make one, are there any particular types of wood to avoid to build it? Was thinking of ply. Also do I have to put a sheet or something underneath the substrate? I imagine the wood will get damp.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA