Newbie! New Redfooted Tortoise in the family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strssdmom72

5 Year Member
100_1083.JPG100_1015.JPGHello all! I am the proud mama of a new Redfooted Tortoise. Actually my daughter is the owner of the tort., but ultimately I am the responsible owner! LOL

We have boxies, Boxer, Froggy, and Crush. We have been caring for them for about 13 years. Two days ago an elderly friend of ours was forced to give up her redfooted tortoise, Slider. She moved into a retirement home and they wouldn't allow her to keep it. So my daughter is the lucky one that was given the opportunity to be the new care giver of Slider.

I am on this site to learn as much as we can about the differences between boxies and redfooted torts. Any advice is welcome.

We also want to get some inspiration for a new tort table, so Slider can get out of the aquarium he has been housed in.

I look forward to learning from all of you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Strssdmom72

5 Year Member
Due to the requirement of the first five posts being moderated, this person posted her welcome thread twice. Normally when this happens, we Mods just quietly delete one. However in this case there was a bit of added information on the second thread and the picture showed better, so I am leaving both threads opening remarks.

Hello From Indiana!

I am new here and looking for some insperation on building a new tort/turtle table for our little friends. I have 3 boxies, Boxer, Froggy, and Crush, and 1 newly aquired redfooted tortoise, Slider.

Our boxies have been with us for almost 13 years now. Our red came to us just two days ago. My daughter got him from an elderly friend of ours that had to get rid of him.

I have tried to post this before, but it didn't post anywhere I could find it. Sorry if I repeated my posts!

In the picture is Slider, our redfooted tortoise (top left), Boxer (top right), Crush (bottom right), and Froggy (bottom left).

100_1083.jpg

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Hes a good looking guy..... Pyramiding but you can put a stop to that ;)
Your first 5 posts are moderated ans only show up when a moderator accepts them just soo we dont get spam :)
Theyre buatiful....
You dont' plan on keeping the redfoot with the boxies right?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome to TFO! Sorry about the reason you got the new redfoot. :( It's too bad the home would not let her keep it. Are those lime deposits on the box turtles? Glad you have found your way here and I hope you stay even after learning what you came to learn.

Strssdmom72

5 Year Member
tyler0912 said:
Your first 5 posts are moderated ans only show up when a moderator accepts them just soo we dont get spam :)
Theyre buatiful....

Thanks! I am researching the pyramiding problem. I had never even heard of it before I started researching two days ago. This guy came to us all of a sudden.

As for keeping the tortoise and boxies together???? I know people do, and I know some people freak out about that. I will let you know that I have seperate cages for them, but the play/feeding area is shared. They are doing great with that, but I know they all need their own space when not supervised. The redfooted tortoise is much bigger than the boxies and I don't feel they should be left together unsupervised.

I look forward to learning more from everyone here!

Strssdmom72

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome to TFO! Sorry about the reason you got the new redfoot. :( It's too bad the home would not let her keep it. Are those lime deposits on the box turtles? Glad you have found your way here and I hope you stay even after learning what you came to learn.

The white marks on the box turtles are from our hard water. I just started using bottles spring water earlier this week. I thought something was wrong with them and when I went to research it, I found it was just hard water deposit. I need to research the best way to clean the white off their shells. It looks terrible!!!

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
Well, welcome in - I am also a newbie to the forums. I have yet to receive my cherry-head-red-foot. It should be coming in late Sunday eve or Monday direct from the awesome Tyler's gang of captive bred. I look forward to learning about these amazing creatures with you. Something tells me you already know more than me about captive torts than I. I haven't had turts or torts since was a kid, and that has been a veeerrry long time ago.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Strssdmom72 said:
tyler0912 said:
Theyre buatiful....
AHH thats' okay then i think! :)
Thanks! I am researching the pyramiding problem. I had never even heard of it before I started researching two days ago. This guy came to us all of a sudden.

As for keeping the tortoise and boxies together???? I know people do, and I know some people freak out about that. I will let you know that I have seperate cages for them, but the play/feeding area is shared. They are doing great with that, but I know they all need their own space when not supervised. The redfooted tortoise is much bigger than the boxies and I don't feel they should be left together unsupervised.

I look forward to learning more from everyone here!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Strssdmom72:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

You can use a little bit of white vinegar to remove the water marks, or just leave it alone and it will come off naturally.

Strssdmom72

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Strssdmom72:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

You can use a little bit of white vinegar to remove the water marks, or just leave it alone and it will come off naturally.

My name is Elizabeth. Sorry, I haven't gotten time to fix my signature yet!
I thought I could use vinegar, but I hadn't looked that up yet! Thank you so much!

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum am also a newbie trying to learn about red foot tortoise also so hope u find a lot of help cause I have

Status
Not open for further replies.