Newbie Set Up

Kala

Location (City and/or State)
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think we’re ready! 😃

I realised the slate tile we had underneath the lamp would be increasing the temperature, removed it and it’s now a perfect 35-37 degrees! Humidity is at 90% though, is that too high?

Cool end is 25-27 degrees, humidity 76%

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sounds fine!
You can put something "tortoise sized" under the lamp and a thermometer/hygrometer probe on top of it for 1 hour. This will give accurate estimate of basking zone temperatures.

Humidity will drop once substrate top will dry a bit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can’t find any 25w floodlight bulbs, only spot bulbs
You can also use regular round household incandescent bulbs instead of floods. Its best to use round bulbs with a hood to direct the heat and light downward, but sometimes I don't in my closed chambers.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Another, and potentially catastrophic obstacle… none of the pet shops will accept the use of a vivarium 😭 We have to supply photos of EVERYTHING. Do I search the depths of Google and fake our enclosure? 😥

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
I slipped up and told them we already had everything set up with coco coir, so now I’m desperately trying to find photos of a table with coco coir without a tortoise already in it… they also have to see photos of each lamp, thermostats, everything. That would be great if they were doing it the right way 🤦🏼‍♀️ I might just go there and be honest and explain why they’re doing things wrong. Just don’t think my little girl is going to cope if we still can’t bring her new little best friend home 😢

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh... I would not try to trick them and to convince them. Show them your setup, tell them that viv is only for maintaining temperatures, because it's cold at home and you plan to keep it at 40-50% humidity. And take any advice on improvements.

Also, there is a possibility, that pet shop owner reads this forum and just stays silent to avoid "holy wars" on topic of humidity.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
The local pet shop who had sold out had a new baby come in so we went there and brought our little one!

Within 30 minutes of being home, it’s pooped a large undigested bit of cucumber and a ton of pinworms 😫

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
The local pet shop who had sold out had a new baby come in so we went there and brought our little one!

Within 30 minutes of being home, it’s pooped a large undigested bit of cucumber and a ton of pinworms 😫
Welcome to the world of ignorance ..... O no I meant the world of tortoises. There are ones out there that no matter how much info you provide to prove them wrong, they are right. There are so many misinformed people that act as Tortoise Gods. You may remember ....
You are almost there ... the finish line is just around the bend. This "stress" will be only a one time thing. It will dissipate at the finish line you will be a tort expert. You will be soooooo much happier with a tort, just my thinking. I commend you on all your efforts just stick with it.
Your Tortoise Masters Degree is almost yours. This thread is such a great example of how much TortoiseForum.org does for Torts and their owners. You are another one of those owners that has gained so much knowledge in a short span of time. Amazing how ANYONE can be so ignorant when this Forum is free.
I commend you @Kala you are a great Mom, tort and human.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Sorry....I didn't see where you are...
This has made me think of something CRAZY .... What if someone who has access to incandescents or has incandescents ships them to a fellow TFO member. It may be illegal to "sell" them but hell I have over 100 bulbs I'll never use and could "give" them. It of course is up to the receiver if they would want to "give" a gift to the shipper. It came to me due to the issues of so many unable to get these important tools of our hobby.

_The_Beast_

Canada

Ahhhh that is a really rough start 😓 Are you able to share a pic of the little one?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
She (or he) is a cutie! Congratulations on starting the "tortoise journey"!

I don't want to spoil the fun, but:
1. With pinworms she might need medication and to be out of substrate (e.g. on a newspapers) for a while.
2. Coir needs to be hand-packed to avoid dust and too much mess.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
She (or he) is a cutie! Congratulations on starting the "tortoise journey"!

I don't want to spoil the fun, but:
1. With pinworms she might need medication and to be out of substrate (e.g. on a newspapers) for a while.
2. Coir needs to be hand-packed to avoid dust and too much mess.
Yeah I called the pet shop immediately who asked me to collect a sample next time he poos (worms are visible and plentiful so no need for testing…) and they will provide a worming treatment. They offered a refund but we don’t want to send him back, just want to help him get better!

I did hand pack the coir but he messed it all up 😂 Or do you mean packed really tightly so there’s no movement at all?

Is it normal for him to be scratching at the corner of the viv? He’ll scratch for a while then relax, then repeat.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Worms are treated relatively easy. So, I'm sure Minty will be fine in a while.

Tom advised to pack coir to a half of initial depth (e.g. from 8 to 4-5 inches). And this won't stop a determined tortoise from messing things up :)

He tries to escape from stressful conditions and hide somewhere. It's a lot of changes for a little one for today. You may put him under the hide or switch some lights off (e.g. UVB and ambient). And shoot him with a temp gun to double-check.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Worms are treated relatively easy. So, I'm sure Minty will be fine in a while.

Tom advised to pack coir to a half of initial depth (e.g. from 8 to 4-5 inches). And this won't stop a determined tortoise from messing things up :)

He tries to escape from stressful conditions and hide somewhere. It's a lot of changes for a little one for today. You may put him under the hide or switch some lights off (e.g. UVB and ambient). And shoot him with a temp gun to double-check.
I put him in the hide and he ran straight back to his basking spot corner 😂 His shell temperature is 37, is that ok?