Newbie to the forum & newbie to tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortylover_JD

5 Year Member
Hi! I just wanted to say hello. My name is Jane and my tortoise's name is Sid. I received him 2 days ago from a friend. He is 5 years old, with a slightly deformed shell and a slightly deformed beak and mouth. But he is gorgeous all the same and I really would like to make sure that I give him a better life that his previous owners obviously didn't! I am absolutely smitten with him so far!

64899_10152381569315405_1324286066_n.jpg

So this is Sid! Don't worry, since this photograph he's had his beak trimmed - which I learnt about on this forum!

72506_10152381569285405_1425922037_n.jpg

Anyways, I just wanted to make myself known and I'll probably be on here a lot for your advice! :) x

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! He is actually a very pretty fellow.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Jane, welcome to the Forum. Keep reading and applying what you learn and Sid will certainly have a much better life. We were all beginners at one time.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well, you found the right place,, now start reading. :)
It looks like your guy is in need of a better situation.. so glad, you got him. He needs a beak Trim. He will be able to eat better...
Sunshine if you got it, if not.. lots of warmth, good food, and nice enclosure to live in...
What do you have so far?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome! The poor lil fella, I am glad you came here and did your research!! My rescued Russian Ophelia was in poor shape when I got her. So we went to the vet and got a beak trim, a fecal check (she had parasites), so meds for that and nails trim'd, and blood work. It cost me close to $400 but I was willing, and able at that time to do that for her. Thank God I did. She is picture perfect compared to her 1st day with me. Keep doing your research on here and learn all you can, I can already tell he is much better hands now tho! :) Yeah to you!! :) :)

Tortylover_JD

5 Year Member
Thanks guys :)

We got with him a Viv and all the equipment - but I know that he shouldn't be in a Viv, so my Dad's making him a tortoise table which is good. He came with all his lights and stuff but I bought a new basking lamp yesterday and I've replaced all the bulbs! He has spent his life eating pellets but my Vet is worried that it might be contributing to his strange shell so I'm trying to incorporate more veg into his diet! He's also been given calcium and multi-vitamin supplements. His beak has been trimmed and I'm seeing him gradually eat more (although he was really angry at me after the vets and wouldn't come out of his hidey-hole for almost a day! but he's got over it now!) and he's also been wormed.

I'm really trying my hardest over here haha!

If you have any tips then please throw them at me - every little helps x

Status
Not open for further replies.