Newbie Tort Enclosure Help

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I wouldn't use the clamps.
Definitely got a floor hook/mount type of thing.
Or you can build your own.
Some people make them out of PVC pipe so they go across the top of the enclosure.
Not the prettiest but it might work okay as a temporary set up.

What is the length, width & height of the plastic bin? Torts need floor space more than height space (but remember that the sides have to be high enough for them to not be able to climb or see out of).

I'm not sure if a terra cotta pot is going to be secure enough as a hide for your tort. If you crack it in half (longways) and then use that, it will be lower and feel more secure, plus you can set it up as a humid hide. So having it smaller will keep the humidity in it easier.

It sounds like you're doing pretty good though as far as prep were to go. :D

Welsh

Wales. U.K
I wouldn't use the clamps.
Definitely got a floor hook/mount type of thing.
Or you can build your own.
Some people make them out of PVC pipe so they go across the top of the enclosure.
Not the prettiest but it might work okay as a temporary set up.

What is the length, width & height of the plastic bin? Torts need floor space more than height space (but remember that the sides have to be high enough for them to not be able to climb or see out of).

I'm not sure if a terra cotta pot is going to be secure enough as a hide for your tort. If you crack it in half (longways) and then use that, it will be lower and feel more secure, plus you can set it up as a humid hide. So having it smaller will keep the humidity in it easier.

It sounds like you're doing pretty good though as far as prep were to go. :D

I'm still looking around for a light, it's harder to find one online than you would think. I was attach it to a length of wood that goes across the enclosure or purchasing one with a bracket and attaching it to the tub that way.

For the terracotta pot, I was going to bury it half way down into the substrate :)

There's a lot more research and prep than I inititially thought. I'm also not sure what tort I want anymore either :eek: I was going with a horse field, but I quite like the hermanns and spur thigh too (not sulcata)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm still looking around for a light, it's harder to find one online than you would think. I was attach it to a length of wood that goes across the enclosure or purchasing one with a bracket and attaching it to the tub that way.

For the terracotta pot, I was going to bury it half way down into the substrate :)

There's a lot more research and prep than I inititially thought. I'm also not sure what tort I want anymore either :eek: I was going with a horse field, but I quite like the hermanns and spur thigh too (not sulcata)
Greek spur thigh (Testudo Graeca) and Sulcata (African Spurred) are very different

Unless you want to own a 150lb bulldozer that definitely can't hibernate - the Testudo is better :D

Care of Greek, Russian and Hermann's is very similar. They're all Testudo variants.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I think you said you were going to use an MVB, if that's the case make sure your light (the dome fixture) uses a ceramic socket. I apologize for not mentioning it sooner.
You should be able to check Petco's website online or even on Amazon.
Or if you have a ceramic socket already then you can pick up a relatively cheap dome fixture from Home Depot and switch out the socket part.

memy02

Regarding the clamp light fixture, you should be able to anchor the lamp to something with a shoe lace or some rope to serve as a backup incase the clamp fails as a way to use the clamp fixture safely.