newbie with 5 ornate boxies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandrah

5 Year Member
they are rescue turtles in good health approximately 4" to 6". Two are female and the rest male. They are living in the DFW area in Texas under a nice tree in our back yard. I'm feeding them from two plates to keep fighting down. May go to three if needed. Found this forum very informative and knew I'd join when they arrived. I'll post questions about aggression elsewhere. Also will post photos soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Lots of sight barriers will help the boxies trying to find some piece from the aggressor(s).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandrah, and welcome to the Forum!

You don't have a good male/female ratio, so what Wellington has suggested would be a very good idea. A nice, big outdoor pen with plenty of plantings, etc in it.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Your ratio is the problem, as has been said. Your best bet, I think, is to have only one male with both females and have separate enclosures for each of the other two males. You might start by separating the worst offender to see if the others can coexist without him. In the wild the most aggressive one would have the best reprodctive chance, but he wouldn't stick around to harrass the female

Status
Not open for further replies.