Newbie with a 3 month old sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGJ223

5 Year Member
Hey folks. I have been browsing around here for a couple weeks now taking in as much information as I can. I just purchased a a 3 month old sulcata over the weekend, and I think I have things setup pretty well for them right now.
Current setup:
20 long aquarium. Bedding is "Bed-a-beast" mixed with larger coconut husks chunks. I have a 75 watt basking lamp, the basking area gets to be 95 degrees. I have a 60 watt red heat lamp at night, this keeps his enclosure at 75 degrees at night. And I have a compact flourescent bulb that is rated at 10.0 UVB.
Also I have 2 suculents in the enclosure one is aloe vera, the others name escapes me at the moment.

My tortoise is eating, I am still trying to lock in the exact diet for him, preferrably with readily available produce. The breeder that I purchased from was feeding the tortoises romain lettuce to make sure they were eating. For the diet so far I am feeding Romaine, grasses, very small amount of collard greens, the suculants in the enclosure, and a small amount of carrot.
Any suggestions for a good daily mix would be helpful.

Also The aquarium is a temporary setup until I dismantle my saltwater aquarium. Once that is complete I will be constructing a 3 foot by 2 foot tortoise table.

Attachments

• Iphone 387.jpg
    Iphone 387.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 83

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi BGJ223: Your habitat looks great, but I'd like to make a couple of suggestions:

Instead of adding the larger chunks of coconut husk to the coconut coir, mix the coir 50/50% with either play sand (purchased at a building supply store) or clean dirt (is that an oxymoron?)

When you say you are going to build a tort table, do you mean out of wood? Or are you going to be using the larger salt water aquarium? In my opinion, glass habitats aren't the best for tortoise babies. They get confused by being able to see through the glass,but not be able to walk through it, and it might cause stress. Also, with an aquarium, even a large one, its hard to get a temperature gradient. You want a warm side and a not-so-warm side.

The opinions you read about here on the forum are just that...opinions. There is no one way for you to take care of your baby sulcata. But the folks here have made their own mistakes, and we hope that you will learn from our mistakes and not have to make your own.

Welcome to the forum. We're always glad to see another sulcata keeper here!!

Yvonne

BGJ223

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi BGJ223: Your habitat looks great, but I'd like to make a couple of suggestions:

Instead of adding the larger chunks of coconut husk to the coconut coir, mix the coir 50/50% with either play sand (purchased at a building supply store) or clean dirt (is that an oxymoron?)

When you say you are going to build a tort table, do you mean out of wood? Or are you going to be using the larger salt water aquarium? In my opinion, glass habitats aren't the best for tortoise babies. They get confused by being able to see through the glass,but not be able to walk through it, and it might cause stress. Also, with an aquarium, even a large one, its hard to get a temperature gradient. You want a warm side and a not-so-warm side.

The opinions you read about here on the forum are just that...opinions. There is no one way for you to take care of your baby sulcata. But the folks here have made their own mistakes, and we hope that you will learn from our mistakes and not have to make your own.

Welcome to the forum. We're always glad to see another sulcata keeper here!!

Yvonne

I am going to build the table out of wood. I have read that aquariums are not the best place to house the Sulcata because of potential stress from. Which is one of the reasons that I have place the aquarium up high. From general observation it does not look like he/she has tried to walk through the glass, or even spend much time near. If it does look like that might be an issue I will place some type of backing so that you can not look through.

Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi and welcome to the forum. Please make sure to soak your baby everyday. Having hot basking lights and keeping him in an aquarium with high sides just means you have him on slow cook all day...so he needs to be well hydrated. Here's a couple of links for you to read. I feed my babies packaged Spring Mix
found in the produce section of most grocery stores. Then you can add some of the dark leafy greens and all that together makes a really good tort salad. I add dandelion and endive, collards, mustard...grape leafs, blossoms and weeds...the care sheets have that stuff listed...

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/sulcatacare.htm

http://africantortoise.com/

BGJ223

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Please make sure to soak your baby everyday. Having hot basking lights and keeping him in an aquarium with high sides just means you have him on slow cook all day...so he needs to be well hydrated. Here's a couple of links for you to read. I feed my babies packaged Spring Mix
found in the produce section of most grocery stores. Then you can add some of the dark leafy greens and all that together makes a really good tort salad. I add dandelion and endive, collards, mustard...grape leafs, blossoms and weeds...the care sheets have that stuff listed...

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/sulcatacare.htm

http://africantortoise.com/

Thank you for the links. I am already on top of the daily soakings. And I will head to the store and pick up some Spring mix today.

One more question. I know it is probably a debateable topic, but what range should I keep the humidity in?
Right now the tank is in the 60 to 70 range.

M

Maggie Cummings

I haven't ever measured the humidity...I just keep the substrate damp.. .but I would lean to the 70 to 80% if you need a number...

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Congratulations on the new family member.
Do you have space so he can be outside when he gets bigger?
One of my sulcatas is still too small to be in a regular corral outside. I put him in an under the bed plastic container with a screen top (with 1/2" holes) that my husband made to fit it. I position the enclosure so half of it is in the sun and half is in the shade. I put a couple of inches of cypress/play sand mix in it and keep it damp. I have a small paint roller pan for water...never deep enough to drown him in case he flips over...never has as far as I know. I check on him frequently.
You are going to love him.
good luck
Patsy

BGJ223

5 Year Member
Update:
My little guy is doing good still. He is eating very well. I have not seen him pee, but I know for a fact that he poops. I soak him daily, even though he does not like to hang out in the water for long.
The humidity in his tank ranges between 60 and 80 in his tank through out the day.

I am however really concerned about pyramiding, ever since I have had him, his shell has not been perfectly smooth. There are little ridges on been each of his scales (sorry dont know the exact name). The channels between are not very deep. Is this something to be concerned about?

M

Maggie Cummings

BGJ223 said:
Update:
My little guy is doing good still. He is eating very well. I have not seen him pee, but I know for a fact that he poops. I soak him daily, even though he does not like to hang out in the water for long.
The humidity in his tank ranges between 60 and 80 in his tank through out the day.

I am however really concerned about pyramiding, ever since I have had him, his shell has not been perfectly smooth. There are little ridges on been each of his scales (sorry dont know the exact name). The channels between are not very deep. Is this something to be concerned about?

It sounds like he is already starting to pyramid. Can you post pictures for us? It's really hard to offer advice when the subject is pyramiding and we can't see the tort. He may just have a rough carapace. The scales I think you are talking about are called scutes (scoots).To prevent pyramiding you need to be on top of several things...exercise, humidity, correct food and UVB lighting. If you have those things correct the chance of pyramiding becomes minimal...but when talking about Sulcata the subject of pyramiding is something that every Sulcata keeper stresses about continually

I just saw your picture, I hadn't noticed the link before. He looks normal to me, I don't see any pyramiding, so stay on top of those things I mentioned and you'll do fine...

BGJ223

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
BGJ223 said:
Update:

It sounds like he is already starting to pyramid. Can you post pictures for us? It's really hard to offer advice when the subject is pyramiding and we can't see the tort. He may just have a rough carapace. The scales I think you are talking about are called scutes (scoots).To prevent pyramiding you need to be on top of several things...exercise, humidity, correct food and UVB lighting. If you have those things correct the chance of pyramiding becomes minimal...but when talking about Sulcata the subject of pyramiding is something that every Sulcata keeper stresses about continually

I just saw your picture, I hadn't noticed the link before. He looks normal to me, I don't see any pyramiding, so stay on top of those things I mentioned and you'll do fine...

Thanks for putting me at ease. I am doing everything I can to make sure he gets excercise. Like stated before I try and keep the humidity high. And I think I give him a well balanced diet.
I have a UVB light in the tank that is on during the day, along with his basking light. I currently have them at separate ends, I believe I read that this is the preferred layout.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Keep a watch on his eyes. The fluorescent UVB you are using has a history of causing problems with their eyes. If his eyes start watering or he keeps them closed, turn off your light. When you replace it when it is 6 months old, go to PetMountain.com and get a ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent UVB. You can find it on other sites, but this site is the cheapest I have found it.
Glad he is eating well.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.