Newbie with a Hermann Tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie*

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I got my Ralphie yesterday, he seems like a happy chap but I'm slightly worried as I haven't noticed him drink anything from his water bowl just yet.. I bathed him as soon as I got home as I'm sure the journey knackered him out.. But I'm just wondering what I could do to encourage him to drink. He's eating fine and happy to nibble but the whole drinking thing is playing on my mind. Thank you.. Char x

Thank y

theelectraco

5 Year Member
As long as he is eating I wouldn't worry. They get most of their fluids through their food. I see my tortoise drink out of his bowl once in a while but not too often.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I agree! Don' worry!
He will drink!
I would soak daily.

Welcome and enjoy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I wouldn't worry too much about it either. Just make sure the water dish is large enough to get in and out easily. A clay flower pot saucer works the best. Also be sure to soak him/her every day if a hatchling to a year old and every other day to 3-4 times a week if older. An older adult, 2-3 times, if not drinking on its own. However, you probably are just missing it. I would also make sure to spritz the food with water, that way they get some every day when eating.

Ralphie*

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your help and welcomes! He has started drinking now which has put my mind at ease :)

Status
Not open for further replies.