Russian tortoise hatchling health question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohanneBoye

5 Year Member
Hi. I just got a russian tortoise hatchling. I'm a little worried because I haven't seen him drink. Got him yesterday. He eats, but not much and he buries down into the substrate and lies there all the time. I've bathed him, but then again I havent seen him drink. Otherwise when i pick him up, or let him walk outside the enclosure he's very active. He has clear eyes and nose. I'm just wondering if that's perfectly normal for a little baby, to be burying down and not drink?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! How exciting you have just brought home a baby! :D He sounds nomal (he's active and eating). Baby tortoises in th wild have to hide from everything to survive, so a lot of their time is being buried or hiding under something. Have you double checked your temperatures with something accurate down at the surface area where he lives? Not seeing your tortoise drinking everyday is also not too unusual. I am guessing he may have gotten some drinking in while having his soaks, which is when they normally drink.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most new tortoise keepers mis-construe the outdoor activity that a new baby exhibits as healthy activity. Actually a new baby is more active outside because he is afraid. A hatchling tortoise is prey and being put outside where he is unfamiliar with his surroundings and doesn't know where a safe hiding place is will run around trying to find a safe place to hide. If you want your baby outside (we all do), then build him a nice habitat that he can call his own, with plenty of places to hide. He will soon become familiar with it and settle down.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice even though this wasn't my thread, this is exactly like my situation, he's fine now, pitty I'm in the UK I would love to have a outdoor enclosure all the time except winter, but it always rains goes cold almost freezing and some days hot

JohanneBoye

5 Year Member
Ah okay, well he seems normal now. He drinks eats and poop normally. The basking end of the enclosure is set to 95 degrees (using a boots thermometer) and he lies there most of the day. He's the sweetest little tortoise I've ever seen! Thank's for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.