Just wondering

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
Is my russian tortoise healthy? He sleeps a lot. I love in ny and its been cold lately. I don't hibernate him tho he's always sleeping but he eats good. I don't ever see him drink though and I've had him a year he obviously has drunk cuz otherwise he would be dead plz help thx ImageUploadedByTortForum1390691281.566595.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390691300.677128.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390691321.045158.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390691345.268075.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390691363.154898.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are your temps and any humidity? You should be soaking him in warm water for about 30 minutes every week if you don't ever see him drink. Also, what size is his enclosure, the substrate your using and his diet?

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
What are your temps and any humidity? You should be soaking him in warm water for about 30 minutes every week if you don't ever see him drink. Also, what size is his enclosure, the substrate your using and his diet?

His temps range from around 80-65 his enclosure is 5 and 1/2 feet by 3 feet his humidity around 60-70 and coconut coir for substrate his diet Cary's from mushrooms to carrots to tomatoes to apples to romaine lettuce to kail to collared greens to that reddish whitish cabbage stuf that I can't remember the name

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is an adult, correct, not a little one? If so, then the humidity is too high for an adult. 30% is enough. Also, I would tweak his diet. Lot less tomatoes, apples and cabbage and more greens. Check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for more edible items you can mix in. I would make his day time temp 75-80 and a basking spot of 95+ and the temps at night can go down to 68. Also, do not use any coil type bulbs, they cause eye problems and be sure you have a UVB light.

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
He is an adult, correct, not a little one? If so, then the humidity is too high for an adult. 30% is enough. Also, I would tweak his diet. Lot less tomatoes, apples and cabbage and more greens. Check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for more edible items you can mix in. I would make his day time temp 75-80 and a basking spot of 95+ and the temps at night can go down to 68. Also, do not use any coil type bulbs, they cause eye problems and be sure you have a UVB light.

I just gave him a 20 min soak and he is an adult and he has a UVB light and also a heat lamp I will cut down the humidity