Spring brought sleep changes?

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
My russian has been sleeping a lot more lately. It's sunnier and warmer in the house now, though his enclosure temps haven't risen much. Is it possible that he knows what time of year it is and has begun sleeping away the hottest (although not actually that hot, just bright) time of day? He's otherwise healthy.

If I lowered his enclosure temps, could this encourage him to not tuck in at noon? I want to keep him up because the afternoon is when I am able to take him out for real sun and I didn't want to have to dig him out and wake him up every day to do that. Doing that would stress him out, right? Or would he get used to it?

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
He is in coco coir/soil with bark. His temps are 95-100 basking fading to 70s at perimeter. Mvb with a Che at night. 50ish percent humidity. Soaking every other day. Vitamin and calcium. Feeding a variety of mixed greens, safe garden plants and mazuri. He has a healthy shell, is growing well and has bright eyes. He poops well and has liquid pee.

He is about one, and still pretty small. His indoor enclosure is not huge, will get bigger as he does. We are working on a 20+ foot one in the yard. He has always gotten up around 7 and gone to sleep around 2:30. But the room he's in does get the morning sun which is coming up earlier and earlier each day, so I wonder if he is too?

But there are days where he sleeps all the way through?! If I unearth him he is indeed fast asleep, but if I put him at his food he eats, basks etc. I don't know what to think. Some major growth is evident on his shell, can growing cause a desire to sleep more?

He looks healthy aside from this change, but seems generally a bit less active which is why I wonder if there is a seasonal change in behaviour in Russians (or ones who are Canadian residents anyway :) We got him in November so I don't know what to expect, if anything, when a dramatic shift in the weather occurs.

Attached is his enclosure, I'll post pics of him when he is awake tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 9

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My russian has been sleeping a lot more lately. It's suuntil he gets the routine down..I wiuld be surevto confirm the overall temps and be sure they are correct..er and warmer in the house now, though his enclosure temps haven't risen much. Is it possible that he knows what time of year it is and has begun sleeping away the hottest (although not actually that hot, just bright) time of day? He's otherwise healthy.

If I lowered his enclosure temps, could this encourage him to not tuck in at noon? I want to keep him up because the afternoon is when I am able to take him out for real sun and I didn't want to have to dig him out and wake him up every day to do that. Doing that would stress him out, right? Or would he get used to it?
If the overall temps are too hot..he will retreat for sure. I would wake him and take him out each day unt