Tortoise not wanting to move around a lot!

Oliverland

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Oliver my hermann’s has lately been just sitting under his hide and when I try to pick him up and bring him out to eat or at least move, he will eat a little and then go back to his cave and sleep. I have found that Oliver has also been sleeping more than normal. He sleeps about all day and only is awake for like 4 hours a day. I am a little worried. Does anyone know what is wrong. He also lives inside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your four temperatures? What size enclosure? What substrate? What type of lighting/heating? UV? What type of UV bulb? What size is he and how long have you had him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would help us to help you if we could see pictures of the tortoise inside his enclosure, please.

Oliverland

Virginia
Today he seems to be better! I think it was too cold yesterday. The room i have him in has very bad ventilation. At night it is too hot and in the day it is too cold. His cage is 4 ft long 2 ft wide and he is 5 in long. image.jpgimage.jpg

Denver, Colorado
Today he seems to be better! I think it was too cold yesterday. The room i have him in has very bad ventilation. At night it is too hot and in the day it is too cold. His cage is 4 ft long 2 ft wide and he is 5 in long. View attachment 295013View attachment 295014
If you're worried about the temperature of your tort's enclosure, I would recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter. They don't produce any extra light and do a great job of keeping the enclosure warm. You can get a pretty good one on amazon plus an E26 or E27 socket for it. Just make sure to turn it off at night so your tort doesn't overheat :)

Oliverland

Virginia
I have a baby room heater, it helps a lot and is not dangerous to him. Though I forgot to turn it on.

Oliverland

Virginia
I have one for his lights but it does not have enough room for the heater. I think I just need to keep it at the same temp because sometimes I turn it down at night and forget to turn the heat up later.