Ashley B.

We got a sulcata hatchling today. I did research before getting him and thought I had a pretty good grasp on what to do. Well, as with most things, there is so much more to it. I've been reading about temps and humidity and all. I'm so confused and worried I won't do the right thing. I live in southern Louisiana. It's very hot and very humid here. I was thinking that maybe I could keep him outside on my back patio instead of inside since it seems the temps they like are pretty much the norm here. Of course I would make sure he's secure and not able to escape or get eaten by predators. Is this a good idea or is he just too little to be outside?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. It's not a good idea. You won't be able to control the temps. A baby can over heat and die quickly. Set up a closed chamber for the first two years. Read the sticky caresheets in the sulcata section.

Ashley B.

Hello and Welcome. It's not a good idea. You won't be able to control the temps. A baby can over heat and die quickly. Set up a closed chamber for the first two years. Read the sticky caresheets in the sulcata section.
Ok. Thank you!

Bee62

Germany
Hello and welcome to the forum.
As already said it will be the best for a baby sulcata to live in a closed chamber indoors so you can control the heat and humidity. But natural sunlight is always a good thing for a tort. You can take your baby tort for 1 - 2 hours outdoor when it is warm outside ( in a safe enclosure ) to get natural sun, but after this time take him or her back inside.
That`s the way I would do it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

These are the care guides we recommend.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those who have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Fresno, CA
welcome to the wonderful and informative world of TORTOISEFORUM :)..... all questions welcome and sometimes we all can learn together :)
i Don't have a hatchling... just a very small 1 yr old tort. I wanted to let him get outside too so i just built this simple little outdoor enclosure so he can get some "real sun" for a an hour or so. (planting some grazing yums in there for him too) .... Little Kiddie pool with a chicken wire top to keep those predators away.... anyway... maybe something like that would give ya on idea what to create :) Enjoy!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8973.JPG
    IMG_8973.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 8

Ashley B.

Thanks for all the replies! We are figuring things out each day and really enjoying having him or her so far. So I keep reading tons of different guides on what to feed and how often. Can someone please give me a simple to follow guide of what to feed each day and how often. I went and got Timothy hay and cut grass from my yard, then today I read that they won't eat that till they are larger. Lol. He won't touch the hay or the grass in his bowl but he did eat some grass while we were outside today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can someone please give me a simple to follow guide of what to feed each day and how often.

Hello and welcome.

You should feed him every day, and if you use this list, feed him as much as he wants.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Babies won't usually eat hay or coarse grass. You need newly sprouted grass for babies, and even then I chop it up thoroughly and mix it in with the days greens.

Most breeders don't spend enough time and effort introducing the correct foods to babies. Because of this, you, the new owner, will have to invest a lot more time in getting them to eat the right foods. In time your little piggie will eat everything you put intron of him, and there will come a time when you will wonder how you are going to feed this bottomless pit. That is the time to introduce the grass hays. When that time comes, I recommend bermuda of orchard grass hay. Timothy hay is too coarse for my liking.

Ask lots of questions. We will help you sort through the conflicting info.