jojoM83

Location (City and/or State)
Leicestershire UK
Hi all,
Wow what a fantastic place to be for a newbie tortoise mum!
I collected Roy at the weekend to come live with us. He's a 10 year old spur thighed and has been living outside in the UK and brought inside in winter. Not been hibernated yet.
He has a wooden insulated house outside. The weekend was hot and he was out zooming about the garden all weekend. However it's now 17c and raining. Should he be under his indoor lamp? Can he go under it to recharge and go back out or do I leave him? Advice greatly appreciated please.
Jo

Attachments

• PXL_20240713_170220438.jpg
    PXL_20240713_170220438.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240714_133902882.jpg
    PXL_20240714_133902882.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome
Yes, you can bring him inside during conditions that are not ideal and put him back out when it's better out.
You can also build him a heated outdoor hide that he can choose to go into, to warm up, on those kinds of days too.
You may have to teach him it's the place to go, by placing him in it a few times before he catches on.

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear @jojoM83,

Welcome! Roy is very cute and you have a lifetime of hilarious moments ahead of you. Jacky is an 88 year old Spur-thighed Tortoise and here in Essex I have tried to get her out as much as possible. She has not eaten when it was colder but it is going to warm up again and today she has started to eat again. I would leave the heat lamp for a little while as the expect 30 degrees Celsius at the weekend but please keep posting so that we can keep advising you. How old is Roy?

Natrah

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,
Wow what a fantastic place to be for a newbie tortoise mum!
I collected Roy at the weekend to come live with us. He's a 10 year old spur thighed and has been living outside in the UK and brought inside in winter. Not been hibernated yet.
He has a wooden insulated house outside. The weekend was hot and he was out zooming about the garden all weekend. However it's now 17c and raining. Should he be under his indoor lamp? Can he go under it to recharge and go back out or do I leave him? Advice greatly appreciated please.
Jo
Hello and welcome!

Here is the care info for your species. In this thread I show pictures and explain a way to do outdoor housing that helps to compensate for uncooperative weather. You might be able to retro-fit your existing shelter.

And much more helpful info here:

Questions are welcome! :)

jojoM83

Leicestershire UK
Dear @jojoM83,

Welcome! Roy is very cute and you have a lifetime of hilarious moments ahead of you. Jacky is an 88 year old Spur-thighed Tortoise and here in Essex I have tried to get her out as much as possible. She has not eaten when it was colder but it is going to warm up again and today she has started to eat again. I would leave the heat lamp for a little while as the expect 30 degrees Celsius at the weekend but please keep posting so that we can keep advising you. How old is Roy?

Natrah
He's very inquisitive and funny already! He's 10 years old. Thank you so much x

jojoM83

Leicestershire UK
Hello and Welcome
Yes, you can bring him inside during conditions that are not ideal and put him back out when it's better out.
You can also build him a heated outdoor hide that he can choose to go into, to warm up, on those kinds of days too.
You may have to teach him it's the place to go, by placing him in it a few times before he catches on.
Thank you so much. I do appreciate it x

jojoM83

Leicestershire UK
Hello and welcome!

Here is the care info for your species. In this thread I show pictures and explain a way to do outdoor housing that helps to compensate for uncooperative weather. You might be able to retro-fit your existing shelter.

And much more helpful info here:

Questions are welcome! :)
Thank you so much Tom. I will take a look. I've been reading so much on here. All so helpful x