Status
Not open for further replies.

TaylorJL

5 Year Member
:tort: Hello everyone my name is Taylor and I am from southeast Iowa. My boyfriend and I have one tortoise that we love dearly. Her name is Athena and she is a small Sulcata that we have had for about 6months. I joined this forum so that I can get advice from more experienced tortoise owners and keep her in good health! If anyone had any good tips on Sulcata care I am open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-29-17-20-32-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-29-17-20-32-1.png
    516.4 KB · Views: 7

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! *waves* Looks like she is on pebbles? What is her substrate?

TaylorJL

5 Year Member
Athena's enclosure does have some pebbles/sand as seen in the picture, but she also has Timothy Hay, and live grass growing. She lives inside because she is so small now but she does have a gated outdoor area that she spends lots of time in when it is warm out (we live in Iowa)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I can't see a pic. However, if the pebbles are small enough to fit in her mouth get rid of them. Also the hay and sand too. The hay is too drying and the sand can cause impaction. Sullies need a high humidity of 80% with temps no lower then 80 day and night and a basking spot of 95+. Always keep a shallow dish of water in the enclosure large enough for her to get in and out, but not deep enough for her to flip on her back and drown. Also, you should be soaking her every day in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Toms threads below will tell you the proper way to set her up to achieve the above and raise her healthy and smooth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Taylor!

TaylorJL

5 Year Member
I am a good tortoise-mom and do soak her at least once a day and I spray her cage with my mister whenever I walk bye! She has her heat lamp on almost every moment that she is not outside. Whenever the weather is hot enough she spends a few hours roaming outside each day which I know that she loves. Would sawdust be a good substrate? I just figured sand because that would be more of their natural habitat? Thanks for the welcomes!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Coconut coir would be better, or cypress mulch. To prevent pyramiding, be sure the humidity is at least 80%.

Status
Not open for further replies.