Newbies!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Really? Wow that is great to know because we have a very nice little Mexican store and they do have a lot of things I can give Mikey. I am also beginning to think I need to become a Gardner lol [emoji16]. And about the cactus pads, it is best to only give small amounts?
Only to prevent really runny poop. It's very watery

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Cactus is really good food and you can feed it several times a week. But too much will cause diahrrea.

I buy the smallest one because I don’t find that once I cut it it lasts long enough for my Russian to stay interested. That said, she is spoiled with opuntia these days because we have our own. She doesn’t always eat cactus from the store! Mikey will probably be different.

If you want to grow something, make it a zucchini. Easy to grow; great fiber; tortoises love the flowers, leaves, and stems; and when it dies, you can get another one for $1.29! You can chop up the stems and freeze them to feed in the winter.

Turnip greens are also super easy to grow and they can handle cooler weather. They practically grow overnight; it will make you feel very accomplished!

Hood River, OR
Cactus is really good food and you can feed it several times a week. But too much will cause diahrrea.

I buy the smallest one because I don’t find that once I cut it it lasts long enough for my Russian to stay interested. That said, she is spoiled with opuntia these days because we have our own. She doesn’t always eat cactus from the store! Mikey will probably be different.

If you want to grow something, make it a zucchini. Easy to grow; great fiber; tortoises love the flowers, leaves, and stems; and when it dies, you can get another one for $1.29! You can chop up the stems and freeze them to feed in the winter.

Turnip greens are also super easy to grow and they can handle cooler weather. They practically grow overnight; it will make you feel very accomplished!
Thank you for the suggestions I love them. He is a great eater and that makes me very happy so any ideas are greatly appreciated. I am already making a list of what to buy at ace tomorrow. I've heard about giving butternut squash and yams, but I haven't found if people cook them or raw. Seems like raw would be hard to eat.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Your tortoise has very tough jaws; he’ll have no problem with raw squash.

I give mine a thin slice with the rind on it; that way she can put one foot on it while she’s biting. But even if I give her a chunk, she’ll figure it out. It’s not like they have anything else to do.

He doesn’t need it too often. It’s a fruit, so again, fairly high in sugars. But if you are growing squash at home, let him have all the leaves and stems she wants.