Mikey is Picky

Location (City and/or State)
Hood River, OR
Hello there! So we have had Mikey for about two and a half weeks now. He is such a good little guy and I love his personality, I think he likes me after all I am the food lady.

He hates soaks but we continue to do them every other day. His poop looks good to me so far. But Mikey is picky! He pretty much only likes the weeds in can find in my front yard which are dandelions, plantain, and cats ear I believe it's called.

I have tried giving him other things like the spring mix (without the spinach) that you get at the grocery store. I bought him endive and he refused to eat it. I bought him watercress and he refuses to eat it. He hates butternut squash, but it seems like that's a good thing because he shouldn't get much of that. He likes the yellow zucchini but I have also seen that is not something he should eat often. He hates carrots but that is also something he can't get too much of.

What I have noticed is that some people say he shouldn't only eat weeds, so my question is what should I do? I have tried to be hard and give him the same thing for more than just one day but I don't want him to be hungry. I love that he comes up to us and wants food so I don't want him to start thinking he isn't going to get what he wants anymore. He is obviously not starving because I have also seen that some people will skip a day of feeding him.

Mikey is also a very lazy little guy. He eats all of his food when he gets what he likes, but he immediately goes to sleep. All he does is sleep and I have looked thru all the information and articles suggested to me and his temperature and humidity are good in his enclosure. So I am hoping that it's because it's no longer warm here in northern Oregon. Thank you for any suggestions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Feed him as much broad leafy weeds etc as you can find on the safe list. Much better then grocery greens. Try working in as a different variety of weeds, leaves etc as possible.
If he is a hatchling they do sleep a lot. They, tortoises also hide away and sleep during the hottest part of the year day, even in an indoor enclosure they still seem to know what part of the day it is.