picky russian tortoise

essie

Location (City and/or State)
planet earth
i've had my russian tortoise nicolae for almost two months now. his favorite foods are any kind of lettuce, hairy bittercress, dandelions, clover, and the wild chives that grow in the garden. i mainly keep him indoors, but let him outside for at least 20 minutes whenever the weather permits.
i know there's little to no nutrition in lettuce, so i restrict it as treat-only. i've given him collards, and endive. he hates them both. he wont touch them with a ten foot pole. this is causing him to not eat unless he's outside, which is no bueno.
he is more likely to eat his collards/endive if i hand feed him, but it's just not realistic. i keep his dish closer to the darker end of his table so that the greens dont dry out. should i keep his dish closer to the light and mist them more often? I'm totally willing to try that, but i'm unable to when I'm at school.
should i just try feeding him different greens until i find the ones he likes? my only problem with that is lack of variety.
the only other option i can think of is to pick the weeds and things i find in the yard, the ones he likes to eat when he marches around outside on sunny, warm days.
also, he's captive bred, in case that's a contributing factor to the pickiness.

thanks,
essie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He Essie, and welcome to the Forum!

If it's possible, contact the breeder to find out what Nicolae is used to eating. Otherwise, take his favorite food and chop it up into bite-sized pieces. Then cut up some other greens - my favorites to use as a base are endive and escarole - into smaller than bite-sized pieces and mix it all together. If he likes cucumber, you can grate a bit of cucumber to mix in with the greens. If you get it all coated with smushed cucumber so it all smells like cucumber, then he should eat it all. Over time you can cut back on the lettuce and cukes, but take a while to do it, don't do it cold turkey.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana

If it's possible, contact the breeder to find out what Nicolae is used to eating. Otherwise, take his favorite food and chop it up into bite-sized pieces. Then cut up some other greens - my favorites to use as a base are endive and escarole - into smaller than bite-sized pieces and mix it all together. If he likes cucumber, you can grate a bit of cucumber to mix in with the greens. If you get it all coated with smushed cucumber so it all smells like cucumber, then he should eat it all. Over time you can cut back on the lettuce and cukes, but take a while to do it, don't do it cold turkey.
I’m glad I read this advice. Our new Russian was just barely eating. I know he was just getting used to his new home, but I was getting worried. I grated some cucumber and rubbed it all over his greens. He has been devouring it the past two days.

fritz269

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Our russian is picky also and it was my fault but I find if I just place a happy mix, she will eventually eat anything I put in front of her. Sometimes it takes all day but hunger eventually overcomes and she will eat it.

Shelbyrussiantort

Sunderland

I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say thanks for your advice, our Russian tortoise hadn't been eating for nearly a week after we unsettled her taking her away with us, have just tried your grated cucumber idea and shes finally started eating again great advice