Calcium powder

Location (City and/or State)
Hood River, OR
Hello all! I have noticed that Mikey will not eat his food when sprinkled with calcium powder. Today he had a fit when I gave him his food with powder and I had noticed that he hardly ever eats it when sprinkled. Is it ok to just stop all together? He will not even look at his cuttlebone so that's not an option. Thank you in advance for any info or suggestions. Picture for attention.20171213_070101.jpg

Destben

Kansas
I use the spray but I also put it on my torts favorite food she eats it pretty well. She wouldn’t look at her cuddle bone for a couple months but now she likes it.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello all! I have noticed that Mikey will not eat his food when sprinkled with calcium powder. Today he had a fit when I gave him his food with powder and I had noticed that he hardly ever eats it when sprinkled. Is it ok to just stop all together? He will not even look at his cuttlebone so that's not an option. Thank you in advance for any info or suggestions. Picture for attention.View attachment 229782
Mine will only eat it if I sprinkle it on his cactus, or mazuri Tortoise diet. Sometimes I will sprinkle it on a small piece of romaine lettuce and wrap it up like a mini taco and that will usually fool him.

Hood River, OR
Mine will only eat it if I sprinkle it on his cactus, or mazuri Tortoise diet. Sometimes I will sprinkle it on a small piece of romaine lettuce and wrap it up like a mini taco and that will usually fool him.
I like this idea. I will definitely try this. Thank you.

Hood River, OR
I use the spray but I also put it on my torts favorite food she eats it pretty well. She wouldn’t look at her cuddle bone for a couple months but now she likes it.
Is there a specific spray I should use or is the one they sell on Amazon fine?

Destben

Kansas
Thats the brand I use. But my tort has 2 calcium blocks and eats mazuri that also has calcium.

Attachments

• Calcium spray.jpg
    Calcium spray.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 19

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
A lot of new owners overdo it with calcium and the tortoise won’t eat food that’s covered with it. (You can also overdo it with calcium, healthy wise.) They just need the tiniest pinch, like fairy dust. :)

Mikey is a full grown male, I think? He doesn’t need as much calcium as a growing tort or an egg laying female. @Tom gives his males very little, I believe.

He’ll take a bite of the cuttlebone when he feels like it, it’s not an everday thing. Mine only ever likes those that have been out in the dirt for a while.