Calcium powder

franklin444

Location (City and/or State)
U.S.A
I usually give my russian tortoise calcium powder on his food every other day. Should I be giving him more or less. He also has two uv bulbs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, a small pinch over the food three times a week is good enough. You should also be feeding calcium-rich greens.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I usually give my russian tortoise calcium powder on his food every other day. Should I be giving him more or less. He also has two uv bulbs.
Depends on what you are feeding him. If you are feeding him mostly grocery store greens then a small pinch 3 times a week is about right. If you are feeding mostly calcium rich broadleaf weeds and leaves, then once a week should cover it for a growing baby. If your tortoise is an adult and already grown, you can reduce these amounts even further.

franklin444

U.S.A
my tortoise is about 1 and a half years old. I usually feed him store bought greens and weeds. Thanks so much for the help. :)

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Depends on what you are feeding him. If you are feeding him mostly grocery store greens then a small pinch 3 times a week is about right. If you are feeding mostly calcium rich broadleaf weeds and leaves, then once a week should cover it for a growing baby. If your tortoise is an adult and already grown, you can reduce these amounts even further.

Do you have any data sources for calcium levels in weeds? I really wonder because our soil here is acidic and calcium deficient.

I supplement all the time and don’t assume my weeds to provide sufficient calcium. For example, lots of sources say optunia is high in calcium, but I question whether it’s because they are measuring optunia grown in an arid climate where soil calcium levels are typically high. If I grow optunia in the humid southeast, is it going to be high in calcium?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any data sources for calcium levels in weeds? I really wonder because our soil here is acidic and calcium deficient.

I supplement all the time and don’t assume my weeds to provide sufficient calcium. For example, lots of sources say optunia is high in calcium, but I question whether it’s because they are measuring optunia grown in an arid climate where soil calcium levels are typically high. If I grow optunia in the humid southeast, is it going to be high in calcium?
I've read so many things over the years... I do remember reading that in areas of high rainfall, like the Southeast, that the calcium levels in the soil are much lower, so your plants have less calcium. One source suggested throwing powdered lime out in the areas where plants were being grown for tortoise food.

Any study or chart I've ever seen showing calcium content of various plants did not list where in the world the plants were collected or grown.

You bring up a good point. People in areas with calcium deficient soil should probably supplement with more calcium if they are feeding mostly local weeds. But what if they feed mostly grocery store food? Where is that grown, and is the soil amended there?