newcomer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jami D

5 Year Member
20130916_001643.jpg20130916_001654.jpg20130915_092456.jpg
We have two sulcatas the large one is Dave, we have had Dave for 7 years. He was 9 lbs when we got him, he now weighs about 90 lbs. The little one is Cookie she weighs 310 g. my wife found her walking down the street. Dave was also found by a friend of mine. Curious to know more info as to approximate ages. Dave actually hibernates for 3-4 months in the winter. We live in Las Vegas. Thanx.:tort:

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Welcome! Nice torts. Chances are the little one is a California Desert Tortoise and not a Sulcata.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I agree the little one may not be a sully. Can you post a few more pics of the legs and underside. Sullies don't hibernate that I have heard of. Does Dave do this on his own or do you do something different to have him hibernate(brumate)?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Hello and welcome! Those are some handsome torts!

How long have you had Cookie? She looks like a desert tortoise, which it would be reasonable to see walking in the wild in a Vegas neighborhood -- or to be a lost pet there.

I live in California and have a DT who is a similar size. She'll be turning 4 in October but she was born in captivity, and they tend to grow faster there.

Are Dave and Cookie housed together? Be aware that if they're different species, as they appear to be, they can make each other sick.

If you can, post some more pix. And stick around. There's some great info here...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jami!

I agree with what has been said above. Also, the little desert tortoise looks pretty dry. Be sure to soak him for about 15 minutes every day.

How lucky was that...to actually find a couple of tortoises? I've been into turtles and tortoises for over 30 years, and I've never seen one walking down the road. You were lucky...and the tortoises were lucky. It sounds like you have offered them a caring and safe new home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Sulcatas don't hibernate. They are a tropical species from an area that does not get cold. They have shown themselves to be very hardy and able to withstand and survive cold temperatures, but its not "good" for them. You really ought to have a nice heated house for winter time.

I had this same conversation with a good friend recently. He got a really nice looking 6 year old male sulcata from a lady who said she does what you do. I told him what I just told you. He didn't listen. His sulcata died this last winter and he's really upset with himself. He loved that tortoise. Every time I went over there he was feeding it and loving on it. I'm really happy that Dave has survived all these winters, but you really aren't doing him any favors by leaving him cold all winter. Look up the seasonal temps where they come from. Don't take my word for it. According to my friend from Senegal Africa, there are just two seasons over there. "Hot and hotter."

Here is what I do for mine here in Southern CA:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

Jami D

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. Sulcatas don't hibernate. They are a tropical species from an area that does not get cold. They have shown themselves to be very hardy and able to withstand and survive cold temperatures, but its not "good" for them. You really ought to have a nice heated house for winter time.

I had this same conversation with a good friend recently. He got a really nice looking 6 year old male sulcata from a lady who said she does what you do. I told him what I just told you. He didn't listen. His sulcata died this last winter and he's really upset with himself. He loved that tortoise. Every time I went over there he was feeding it and loving on it. I'm really happy that Dave has survived all these winters, but you really aren't doing him any favors by leaving him cold all winter. Look up the seasonal temps where they come from. Don't take my word for it. According to my friend from Senegal Africa, there are just two seasons over there. "Hot and hotter."

Here is what I do for mine here in Southern CA:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

Dave has hibernated for the 7 years we have had him. He lives outside until about Thanksgiving, then I move him indoors. He used to stay in the house until spring, he would stay in the corner of the living room. now he's too large so I let him say in the garage for the winter. Every spring like clock work he gets up and is ready for the yard again. The first year we had him we had no idea what was going on. I thought he was dying. He has been doing great though. He was 9lbs 7 years ago, now he is 90lbs. Pretty good growth rate just eating our lawn.

Jami D

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). I agree the little one may not be a sully. Can you post a few more pics of the legs and underside. Sullies don't hibernate that I have heard of. Does Dave do this on his own or do you do something different to have him hibernate(brumate)?

Pics of Cookie

Attachments

• 20130917_222223.jpg
    20130917_222223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20130917_222229.jpg
    20130917_222229.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20130917_222641.jpg
    20130917_222641.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Jami D

5 Year Member
thatrebecca said:
Hello and welcome! Those are some handsome torts!

How long have you had Cookie? She looks like a desert tortoise, which it would be reasonable to see walking in the wild in a Vegas neighborhood -- or to be a lost pet there.

I live in California and have a DT who is a similar size. She'll be turning 4 in October but she was born in captivity, and they tend to grow faster there.

Are Dave and Cookie housed together? Be aware that if they're different species, as they appear to be, they can make each other sick.

If you can, post some more pix. And stick around. There's some great info here...
My wife just found Cookie on Saturday. Dave is outside, Cookie is inside. She's too small to be with him for sure. I appreciate all the info, considering that I have become an accidental tortoise owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.