Newcomer!

CecilsMom

Hi! My name is Jennifer, I am Cecil's Mom. Cecil is a Red Footed Tortoise. He was given to me by an older gentleman about a year ago because he was in is prime lovin' age and was disturbing a pretty bonded couple he already has.

Cecil is about 6/7 years old. He is very smart and pretty funny actually. He enjoys climbing over small things around the house like books and dog beds. He has two dog sisters that adore him and never ever try and hurt him and one cat sister who could probably care less ;). He shares a room in the winter with two snake sisters (they have their own tank he has the room).

I found out about this forum from the Tortoise Library because I was there researching a recent shell issue Cecil has come down with. I was hoping to connect with other Red Foot owners here and learn how to better Cecil's life. He is my first tortoise.
Glad to be here, thanks so much.
Jennifer

Attachments

• 0821131939.jpg
    0821131939.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 1204131431f.jpg
    1204131431f.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jennifer, and welcome to the Forum!

Are you worried about the little white/grey spots between the scutes in places? That might be from the tortoise being kept too dry. They need to be in a humid environment, and if you're allowing him to roam around the house, he's not being kept moist enough.

It also might just be the beginning of his color change. Some of the Redfooted tortoises have what we call mottling or marbling. It eventually will look like this:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5491.html

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). As much as you might think your dogs would never try too hurt Cecil,please do no ever let them be alone together unsupervised, ever. You have a better chance of getting a mangled tortoise from the dogs then you don't. It would also be best too set up a proper home for him. Roaming the house is not it.

CecilsMom

Hi! Thank you for the advice!
Cecil only roams the house when I am home studying, I open the door to his room and allow him to roam the house because in the winter he gets a little bit bored. I keep his room at about 82 degrees? and I soak him about two times a week. He also has his own water source in his room to drink from.

During the summer he spends his days outside in the backyard and I only bring him indoors at night just incase a stray cat or something might want him. Here in Texas it's probably warm enough to stay overnight, but I rest easier bringing him in.

As for the dogs, Cecil is never out when I'm not here to keep an eye and ear out for possible fusses, especially after the accident last summer with the neighbors dogs.

The shell issues I am worried about are underneath on his "belly" they are white-ish and look like they sort of peeled off? I believe this is because of dampness.. I'm not positive of course.

The top of his shell does have a few issues because last summer he was attacked by a neighbor's dogs... It was entirely my fault and pure irresponsible forgetfulness.. I had him out back for the day and forgot that he was there when my neighbor put her dogs in my back yard in order to show her house to a buyer. It was certainly one of the most awful days of my and his life. I took him straight to the gentleman I got him from and he looked him over and said no soft tissue damage, and no severe shell damage.. The gentleman was at work at the fire department and here I was with my tortoise all boxed up crying in front of a fire station full of my men! Poor Cecil.. it was a rough day. He has since recovered although his shell has a few scars. Because of this I have certainly upped my watch on him!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome.

All the expert had spoken and looks like you know what you are doing. So just welcome to the forum! ! ! ! !

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jennifer welcome to the TFO from AZ please don't forget torts taste test every thing but unlike cats they don't do fur balls well at all . Good luck with your tort