New Guy, Multiple Tortoises

Jay Rennemeyer

Hello! My name is Jay Rennemeyer and I have 3 tortoises. Cecil is a female Sulcata that is 14 years old. I got her for Christmas when she was a hatchling. Seymour is a male Redfoot that is 3 years old - he was another Christmas present. Coco is a female Russian, and I'm not sure how old she is because she was a rescue tortoise, but she is at least 5 years old.

I live in north Utah and have a 13' x 13' pen in the backyard that Seymour and Coco stay in during the summer. Cecil has the entire back yard. In the winter I keep them indoors in plywood pens with heaters, however, Cecil is way to big for the pen and will require her own room next fall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jay, and welcome to the forum!

Seymore and Coco require much different care, and should be each in their own habitat so you can provide that. The RF tortoise needs a jungle-like habitat and the Russian comes from the steppe, a very rocky, dry area. Besides the environment, Russian tortoises are notoriously 'dirty' because of the way they are captured and shipped. Your Russian is likely to get your RF sick.

I'd love to see pictures of your tortoises. I'll bet its not easy to keep tortoises in the Utah climate, and I'm interested in knowing what you have to do to make your tortoises thrive.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)