Newspaper as substrate?

ditzyangeluk

Location (City and/or State)
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
The people I got my Hermann Tortoise from (who is gorgeous and fabulous by the way!! :D ) have been keeping/breeding tortoises for 40+ years. For substrate, they use newspaper laid flat on the base and advocate doing the same. Thoughts please?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't recommend, can't really hold moisture well, not when there are better alternatives available. My 2 cents.

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't recommend it either. In my opinion, good soil is the best choice (with added rocks and plants). Or at least something similar, like coco coir.

Good substrate should have these properties: hold moisture well, not get moldy too easily, a non-acidic pH value, harmless when ingested, not too dusty when dry, firm enough for good footing, soft enough for easy burrowing (well, at least inside the hides, tortoises don't have to be able to burrow everywhere).
2uJlLqD.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What was done years ago, well, we know better now. Never seen a tortoise living on paper in the wild. Dirt, coconut coir, cypress mulch, orchid bark, all much better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw...I love that picture. Save it in its full-size for our calendar contest that we usually start in September. Its a winner for sure.

As to newspaper...

Baby tortoise legs are tender and growing. You want the baby to have as much traction as possible, and slipping out from under him on newspaper is not an ideal practice. It might cause the legs to splay out and grow splayed.

You need a substrate that you can keep fairly moist, and you can't accomplish that with newspaper.

And just because someone has been having success breeding tortoises and getting babies, does not mean they have the best knowledge about raising those babies.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
To be honest, I thought so but they were adamant so thought I would ask. I have never seen anywhere that recommends newspaper so will stick with my topsoil. Thank you

Attachments

• Sparky .. Having a wander on 1st day 12-7-14.jpg
    Sparky .. Having a wander on 1st day 12-7-14.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16