Does anyone use Newspaper as Substrate?

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I have been using newspaper as substrate on my pair of Star Tortoise for 20 years. I have been following the use of different types of substrates and it seems that there are a lot of management issues. Furthermore I am from South East Asia and the kind of substrates mentioned here are hard to locate in the local pet store or is expensive.

Once in a while though, I did catch my tortoise eating the newspaper if they are too hungry. Other than that, I find Newspaper excellent in management and cleaning up.

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
News paper isn't the best option and is not recommended. I good option is wood chips (mulch) the entire bag is $6 and is HUGE. The tortoises also love borrowing in it and is very low maintenance. Every time they release waste, it will stick to one individual wood ship and you could just pick it up and throw it out.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I use coco coir. It will stick to your tortoises, it can be messy. But for me it is almost zero maintenance. It is cheap, I bought them for my 80cm x 200cm enclosure, i get 10cm thickness with only $4!! I am south east asia too

Taco*mom

I have seen newspaper substrate made distortion to tortoises' feet. They ended up dragging their back feet instead of walking high on them. I also live in south east asia. Coco coir is very easy and cheap. It also mantains humidity very well. As of other kind like coco chip and forest bark, you can buy those online.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Often, the ink used in a newspaper would tend to make me stay away from it. Tortoise wastes also stay in place while your tortoise walks around. This makes for something to walk in and smear around on their plastron. This then can lead to an ideal place for the growth of germs and other things not good for your tortoise.

Korall

Sweden
I use plain soil from my garden with some grass planted on top to stop it from turning to mud, although this only works if you have a big garden that you are certain doesn't have any pesticides or fertilizers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
News paper is not a proper substrate. It is only recommended when house a tort with parasites and only until the parasites are gone. Also is the tort has an open wound.
When housing a tortoise, think about what they would have in the wild. Paper can not provide a good humidity which is needed. It might have worked for you, but it's not what should be used for the tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises, especially baby tortoises can't get traction when walking on newspaper and this sometimes causes the back legs to spread out. In birds this is called spraddle leg. There are many substrates used for tortoises, but newspaper is not recommended. Glad it has been working out for you, but it's really not the best option.

netjerk

Malaysia
Thank you for the replies. @Fredkas & @Taco*mom , can you advise where you get the coco coir? Can also PM me. Thank you!

Newspaper is definitely not the right thing to use for bedding tho can easily throw away and change new piece. You can easily find good substrate in plant nursery. I got my coco peat from plant nursery but quality may not as good as those sold in pets shop. Coco peat I bought contain many hair like material which I hand pick when lay a new bedding. Coco peat is good o contain moist, I would pour in a cup of water to make the substrate wet in case my tort want to dug in. On top of coco peat I have Orchid Bark as a layer to prevent tort eat coco peat or get dirty. Orchid Bark will be dried during day time due to the heat lamp I have but coco peat remain wet. I have Cypress Mulch which I will change next but this is much more expensive than orchid bark. Cypress Mulch not available in local plant nursery.

One thing I learned about bedding is with newspaper the base is too hard for tort which may cause their nail to deteriorate.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Nope. Far to many better substrates to use. Simply read and study this here forum for answers to this and likely other questions you have.