No Growth Line

peqio

Hello Everyone,

I would like to ask if its possible for aldabras not to have growth lines and yet they still grow bigger? I can see mine getting a bit bigger and heavier, but I haven't seen any white growth lines at all.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What kind of turtle/tortoise are we talking about?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe your tortoise's new growth is the same color as the existing shell.

peqio

alright, now I know that not all growth lines are white. lol

Thanks Yvonne G :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a picture of a young aldabra tortoise with obvious new growth, but the growth is black like the outer shell:

kexkk9.jpg

peqio

Thats exactly what Im experiencing now, but my tort is bigger than the one in the picture.

So there's nothing to worry about at all. lol

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is a subject I've been thinking about for some time.

Why do some torts show white growth lines and some don't.

I've purposely made my hingebacks have a dryer(not totally dry) period over the last few months to coincide with less protein feeds.
Anyway now they show very extreme white growth lines. They didn't when I was spraying them every day. I have one hingeback that sits in water constantly, this one does not have the white growth lines.
Could it be connected to humidity.

This is when in a very wet environment
IMG_20150610_180406.jpg

This is after about 3 months of not so wet.
IMG_20160304_214801.jpg
The weather will change here in the UK soon, so slugs and snails will be in abundance, I'll see what happens when I create a long wet season again.

If what I am thinking is correct, and the white lines are from the harsh dry period, is this why some wild torts get annual growth lines. Is the prominent growth line where the white line was? Just thoughts with no evidence :D

peqio

Mine is usually placed outdoor during day time. Does this has to do with the sun or is it genetic? any tort experts in here?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My growing redfoot used to have white growth lines.....now his growth lines are thick and black. I have no idea why?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The white growth lines are usually associated with much larger tortoises and usually when housed in direr conditions.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The white growth lines are usually associated with much larger tortoises and usually when housed in direr conditions.
So it's a good sign his growth lines are black now then i take it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So it's a good sign his growth lines are black now then i take it?

All of the healthy Aldabras and Galops that I have seen have nothing but black growth when they are smaller. Some white as babies, but all black after a certain size.

My experience is very limited, so I would certainly defer to the knowledge of someone like Jerry Fife or Aldabraman that has raised dozens of them.

Here is a pic of three of Jerry's small Galop babies outdoors in a very dry climate:
IMG_2538.jpeg

And here is N2TORTS Tyrone as a baby:
GLS10_zps3b7e7ffb.jpg

But look at Tyrone just a little later:
TYRONE12-17-2014_zpsfdadead2.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
2 of my redfoots have black growth, they are the larger slower growing ones. My small (16oz) 2 year old gets white lines now and again. I wonder if it has anything ot do with growth rates as well as humidity.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
2 of my redfoots have black growth, they are the larger slower growing ones. My small (16oz) 2 year old gets white lines now and again. I wonder if it has anything ot do with growth rates as well as humidity.
That's what I think. Humidity to growth ratio, growth is dictated through feeding.
Which suggests when they are neonates/juveniles they grow fast, so humidity(hydration) needs to be higher than at a later age when growth slows up.
Just thoughts.

peqio

I'm maintaining at least 70% humidity and keeping my tort outdoor during day time.

The white growth line is visible in such a short time. It got dark right away in less than 3 days.