no question is too silly..right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
I read on the forum that ppl are "soaking" there tortoises and it made me wonder...should I be doing that with my 3 toed box turtle?..I have never heard of doing it...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are correct, no question is too silly:D however I can't answer your other question. I have no idea about 3toed boxies. However I do know someone will come along soon that does know the answer:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I soak mine on occassion in the bath tub so they can have a swim if they like, but they tend to self soak in there water dish they have in there enclosure and all I have to do is keep the water fresh...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am the arbiter of silly questions, and I deem yours ..... not silly.
You can soak box turtles, but if you keep them properly they don't really need to be soaked, of course it won't hurt anything if you do soak it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Three Toed's love the water, and mine will sit in the pond for long periods of time every day. Even the hatchlings that I have inside will come out and sit in the water. They should always have a large enough water dish for them to be able to soak themselves when they want to. I'm not a fan of force soaking, unless your turtle is sick. I never understood why people do this. Just MHO.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I never soak my boxies - they climb in the water by themselves and soak when they want. Just make sure they always have water available. :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i have a water bowl for them to soak on their own when they want to BUT i do force them to soak maybe every other week, nice warm water this is when ill check them over real good to make sure they dont have any ticks any owies or anything else that would need attention , but i also keep them outside most of the summer so i just want to make sure every body is doing okay

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are LOTS of silly questions- this is just not one of them.

Some silly questions would be things like...
- how do I shave my tortoise?
- how do I attach a harness so I can take my tortoise bungee jumping?
- how many 'Turtle candies' should i give my turtle in a week?
- [insert some stupid comment about 'Turtle Wax' here]
- how much wood would a wood turtle turtle if a wood turtle could turtle wood?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I soak Ninja in warm water once in a while, but only if she is dirty from the substrate...

here's another question....

what can i use for substrate other than the eco coconut stuff. Can i buy soil from home depot or something for them to dig in?...advice??

jojo

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Now that question is just silly (J/K)
you can buy plain old potting soil just make sure it has no additives or chemicals, lowe's sells a super soil that is just dirt and it is like 7 or 8 bucks for a big bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.