Shell rot

Morcomshane

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hey all,
I recently adopted a 3 toed box turtle knowing he had shell rot and that it was pretty bad. I dont know if it will ever heal or if there are things I should be doing currently to make sure it doesnt become active.
Any advice would be great thanks.
His enclosure is 4ft wide by 8ft long has a cement mixing tray for soaking which I spray out daily. The substate is the native leaf litter deep enough to hide in

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Very interesting
Is there any foul smell in those areas?
It doesn't look like any fungal infestation I've ever seen. And actual shell ROT is just that...Rotting tissue.
Fungus would require an antifungal ointment. Like ATHLETES FOOT CREAM. I use it now and again. But rot would require a topical antibiotic.
Could this be some other type of issue. I see that black edges and it does look like rot. But its actually pretty rare.
Hopefully someone more familiar with this can offer advice.
But let's assume it was caused by actual shell rot.
If it is hard and not smelly, we can assume it has stopped. Active rot would be soft and stinky. Healing in every case will be slow and never 100%. This is true for fungus or bacterial rot damage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only spots I see that might be active or new, are the light brown spots on the front part, each side, on the plastron. The deep spot at the back looks like old shell rot that is no longer active. Like Zero says, smell it. If it smells bad, it's still active, then a good cleaning with a brush, scrub out the whole hole, dry and apply athlete foot cream.

Morcomshane

USA
There isnt any foul smell at all, that was the first thing I did..must have looked ridiculous to my neighbors but oh well.
The larger holes were over a year old she said, definitely not active now but will or can it become active again. I keep my enclosures clean but ya never know, some faces or whatever can get in there...guess ill just keep an eye out. Been keeping turtles forever and never dealt with shell rot so it's all new to me.
Thanks for the response.

Second question, can the affected areas be repaired ever or will those holes be like that forever ? Would be great If they weren't open like that.