Shell Rot

I have a 3 toed box turtle that is about 2 years old and a little over 2 inches. I noticed he has what looks like shell rot on the bottom of his shell. All of the information I read on the internet was for aquatic turtles so I was wondering how to keep the wound clean when he's walking around in dirt all day. Anybody who's treated shell rot on a box turtle before please help me out if you can. I'll also attach a picture. Thank you for any advice and merry Christmas.

IMG_0283.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Clean and dry the plastron then rub in a dab of athlete foot cream. You don't 'goop' it on, just a dab and rub it in. Do this a couple times a day and it should clear up in a couple weeks.

In the meantime, let your substrate dry out a bit. You want it to be moist underneath, but fairly dry on top.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ditto what Yvonne said. I use fungus cream for a couple weeks and it clears right up.

Clean and dry the plastron then rub in a dab of athlete foot cream. You don't 'goop' it on, just a dab and rub it in. Do this a couple times a day and it should clear up in a couple weeks.

In the meantime, let your substrate dry out a bit. You want it to be moist underneath, but fairly dry on top.
I read somewhere that you should take off the first layer of the shell with a toothbrush and then treat it. Should I do this or just aply the cream right to the shell? Also I heard you could use triple antibiotic ointment and I was wondering if that would work because I already have some laying around. Thanks for the help I'm really hoping this guy will get better.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I read somewhere that you should take off the first layer of the shell with a toothbrush and then treat it. Should I do this or just aply the cream right to the shell? Also I heard you could use triple antibiotic ointment and I was wondering if that would work because I already have some laying around. Thanks for the help I'm really hoping this guy will get better.
Yes, you can acrub with a toothbrush first. But you need the fungal cream to treat it, not antibiotic ointment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Antibiotic does absolutely nothing to kill fungus.

You can scrub the areas with a toothbrush, but it will work ok with no debriding also.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree antibiotics are for treating bacterial infections.

Shell rot is a fungal infection like athlete's foot. Use an athlete's foot cream to fix it.

Antibiotics are wasted on shell rot.

* Gets on soapbox *

The effectiveness of antibiotics is becoming drastically reduced worldwide as bacteria become resistant to them. They should only be used when they're necessary and, even then, care must be taken to use the correct one to treat the problem.

Simply using antibiotics "just in case" is making this situation worse.

No new antibiotics have been developed and the "superbugs" are out-gunning the old ones.

There is already a problem. Do not use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary

* Gets off soapbox *

Antibiotic does absolutely nothing to kill fungus.

You can scrub the areas with a toothbrush, but it will work ok with no debriding also.
Ok I got some athletes foot cream the active ingredient is Tolnaftate will this work? I just read somewhere on here that only Clotrimazol will work.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
personally i'd use silver sulfadiazine cream , as it's will kill both bacterial and fungal infections ........ shell rot can be bacterial , and can lead to septicemia , it can be severe enough to require antibiotic injections ...... at least that's what i've been told .......

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If bacterial infection sets in then antibiotics can be effective. Without bacterial infection they are pointless.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
If bacterial infection sets in then antibiotics can be effective. Without bacterial infection they are pointless.
that's without question true ..... my thought was shell rot can start as bacterial , it doesn't need to be fungal ...... chlorhexidine , betadine , clotrimazole , and silver cream are all somewhat effective against bacteria ..... I've had 3 reptile vets since I began taking reptiles to the vets , my last one obviously the most skilled , I can only speak on his preference for the problem ........ I have had shell rot cultured before and it was solely bacterial ........ it was cured with the proper antibiotics and silver cream .

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Colette Adams talked about this at TTPG 2016 on Mexican Box Turtles, although it is fungus Neosporin worked well as it blocked out the oxygen to the fungus and prevented any secondary infections. As a rule I disinfect the shells of my Coura with a light solution of batadine (ice tea color) once a month. and havent had any issues at all.