No weight gain?

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Our new little addition Rosie (3 mo. Leopard)has not gained any weight this week in fact she's down a gram and a half I don't understand it because she eats like a pig everyday sometimes twice a day and poops everyday..am I being paranoid???... she walks around her enclosure quite a bit and so I know she's getting exercise I usually feed her about it quarter cup of greens like collards grass lettuce weeds grape leaves and Cactus pad which she loves I give her calcium powder once a week and introduced cuttlebone to her this morning any advice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What does she weigh, and remind me where you got her?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Our new little addition Rosie (3 mo. Leopard)has not gained any weight this week in fact she's down a gram and a half I don't understand it because she eats like a pig everyday sometimes twice a day and poops everyday..am I being paranoid???... she walks around her enclosure quite a bit and so I know she's getting exercise I usually feed her about it quarter cup of greens like collards grass lettuce weeds grape leaves and Cactus pad which she loves I give her calcium powder once a week and introduced cuttlebone to her this morning any advice?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200426-064838_Note.jpg
    Screenshot_20200426-064838_Note.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 44

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You'll drive yourself nuts weighing too often. A good poop right before will make her a weigh a few grams less, or a soak before will add some weight. Try weighing in only once a month. If after a month you see weight loss, then there's something going on.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
You'll drive yourself nuts weighing too often. A good poop right before will make her a weigh a few grams less, or a soak before will add some weight. Try weighing in only once a month. If after a month you see weight loss, then there's something going on.
yeah I weigh her weekly every Sunday looking for at least that 10 gram increase but she weighed a gram and a half less than last week which shocked me cuz she eats like a pig every day and poops every day regularly

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Although one thing I did notice different she hasn't really wanted to have a soak the last couple days as where before she would soak 15-20 minutes no problem now I can't even get her to barely soak 5 minutes without her wanting to climb out of the bowl

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Although one thing I did notice different she hasn't really wanted to have a soak the last couple days as where before she would soak 15-20 minutes no problem now I can't even get her to barely soak 5 minutes without her wanting to climb out of the bowl
Something is going on, but I don't know what. This is the one with the puffy eyes, right? You are past the magical 50 gram mark, so I'm not thinking its breeder failure syndrome, but I don't know what is going on there. If you weren't so far, I drive over and see for myself...

How far are you from Dr. Jarchow in Tucson or Dr. Funk in Mesa? They could run some diagnostics, and both are tort savvy.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Something is going on, but I don't know what. This is the one with the puffy eyes, right? You are past the magical 50 gram mark, so I'm not thinking its breeder failure syndrome, but I don't know what is going on there. If you weren't so far, I drive over and see for myself...

How far are you from Dr. Jarchow in Tucson or Dr. Funk in Mesa? They could run some diagnostics, and both are tort savvy.
Well as far as the puffy eyes go I think turning off the UV light is helping and I turned off the pet store bulb I just have a G40 Globe just a bathroom incandescent in there at the moment which I'm actually heating more with my c h e I believe but it's right around 90 to 92 degrees right now 80 + humidity

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az

She eats alot but then again shes very active

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Her appetite is as huge as it was day 1...she poops daily.... I was thinking about getting her outside today it's pretty hot out

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Go old school- pen and paper. Place tortoise on paper and trace their outline and add date. You can add weight as you take it but this can show you what you are not seeing which is slight growth in over size!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If calories are going in, then something is interfering with the growth... I'd guess parasites.

I got a hingeback rescue in the fall who was stuck at 120g... two different anti-parasitics and daily soaks of 2-8 hours eventually turned him around.

Good luck with yours....

Jamie

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
If calories are going in, then something is interfering with the growth... I'd guess parasites.

I got a hingeback rescue in the fall who was stuck at 120g... two different anti-parasitics and daily soaks of 2-8 hours eventually turned him around.

Good luck with yours....

Jamie
what was the anti-parasitic product? Was it a powder that you just mix and soak them in?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az

do you know the name of the clinic dr. Funk works at or dr. Funks full name?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
do you know the name of the clinic dr. Funk works at or dr. Funks full name?

the only way I think she could have gotten worms is I let her eat out in the Garden freely in a 3-foot by 4-foot frame with a net over it so she can graze or some of the weeds grass I brought in from my garden must have had eggs on them somehow maybe the lettuce or the collards

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
the only way I think she could have gotten worms is I let her eat out in the Garden freely in a 3-foot by 4-foot frame with a net over it so she can graze or some of the weeds grass I brought in from my garden must have had eggs on them somehow maybe the lettuce or the collards
Pinworm eggs blow around on the wind. They can find their way into indoor enclosures or be stuck on food.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az

Good luck with yours....

Jamie
Is that total soaking time spread over many soaks or is that continually in a row cuz I know she doesn't like to be in there more than 15 minutes or so