normal growth rate.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
i just wondering how much growth is normal? i have a young russian that i've had for about 4 month he/she seems healthy an+d active and has a varied diet of weeds water available all the time and soaks 2-3 times a week. temps range from around 100 right under the lamp too around 80 at the other end. he has a uv strip light and i spray the substrate daily to keep it slightly damp so he can dig and get him out side in the big enclosure as much as possible. in the time i've had him hes only grown about 4mm. he is 64mm and about 46gr (not very good scales so could be a touch out) does that sound about right or am i doing some thing wrong? i added a couple pick of his homes just in case i'm missing some thing
100_4814.JPG 100_4818.JPG
there's more weeds to go in. as u can see he likes to bulldoze them lol
100_4825.JPG

you can just see his butt under the slate. he likes to dig it out and sleep in there rather than his hide.
thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of them just grow slower for some reason. Looks like your set up and routine is good. I would not worry.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I like your setup :D He's fine. Tortoises also just grow very slowly, and some are different than others.

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Toronto ON
I keep a growth chart of our redfoot and at month three of having her I was getting worried too - but the forum calmed me down. I don't know how to link to stuff I have up in my media, but they're all there! She only grew 1.4g in the first month, and then 7.6g in the next month, and hasn't gained any length.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
thanks for your reply. he seems happy and healthy enough so i'll try not to worry.

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
They do all grow at very different rates. I had three Russian hatchlings last year and they were all round about the 20g mark at hatching. Nine months later one is 20g heavier than the other two! They have been kept in the same set up and all have healthy appetites. As long as they are eating and active I don't worry too much