Normal Sulcata Shedding?

Thom969

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello just wondering if this shedding is normal, what looks like a part of his scale fell off on the top of his head its not big maybe 1/5th of an inch. Is he dehydrated? I bathe him once every 2-3 weeks and wet his food before giving him anything.

Attachments

• PXL_20210824_211009315.jpg
    PXL_20210824_211009315.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20210824_211003034.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210824_211003034.MP.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do have water for her too drink available 24/7 right?
No its not normal as far as they don't shed. She probably rubbed it on something. Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it just to be sure it doesn't get infected. It likely won't.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like he's digging under something like concrete and scraping his shell. Something hard enough to damage the shell like that can certainly pull off a head scale or two.

Thom969

Colorado
Looks like he's digging under something like concrete and scraping his shell. Something hard enough to damage the shell like that can certainly pull off a head scale or two.
In the last post you replied to, I mentioned he tries to burrow through roots that could possibly be catching his scales?

Thom969

Colorado
You do have water for her too drink available 24/7 right?
No its not normal as far as they don't shed. She probably rubbed it on something. Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it just to be sure it doesn't get infected. It likely won't.
Sulcatas do not shed? Kind of odd theres multiple pictures, sites, and other reputable sources that say otherwise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcatas do not shed? Kind of odd theres multiple pictures, sites, and other reputable sources that say otherwise?
They don't normally shed a scale which is what you asked about. It's usually damaged in some way.

Thom969

Colorado
They don't normally shed a scale which is what you asked about. It's usually damaged in some way.
Thank you, i appreciate it, it probably was damaged in someway he is in his juvenile stage so he's been acting a lil crazy lately. Advice on cleaning it? Just water or baby soap maybe?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you, i appreciate it, it probably was damaged in someway he is in his juvenile stage so he's been acting a lil crazy lately. Advice on cleaning it? Just water or baby soap maybe?
No just water is fine. You can put a little neosporin on it if you want but I don't think its needed at this point. They usually do just fine without much attention to it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When they're younger they shed skin, not scales.

Thom969

Colorado
When they're younger they shed skin, not scales.
It seems to be healing okay ive been misting his head to clean the area 1ce a day. But there is this black spot by the side of his left eye? Dont know if this is normal? Im sorry for bothering so much,

Attachments

• PXL_20210826_181053728~2.jpg
    PXL_20210826_181053728~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
You're not bothering at all! :) It looks like the top part of the scale was partially damaged and the darker area is the keratin below - but I'm not an expert.

Thom969

Colorado
You're not bothering at all! :) It looks like the top part of the scale was partially damaged and the darker area is the keratin below - but I'm not an expert.
Well i need to do something with the roots in his burrow i think because if he keeps injuring himself that's not good thats the only thing i can think of damaging his head, he doesnt mind me touching those spots, i was just hoping it wasn't a fungal infection, i will grab some Neosporin today.

Thom969

Colorado
This is starting to get a little frustrating im washing the spot every day with mist and making sure it's clean, today when i went to go look at his head i saw by his ears it was shedding a bit aswell, the spot i showed previously hasn't gotten any better yet, is there any other ideas of what it could be? He hasnt been in his burrow lately because of all the rain we have been getting either so i dont think anything is catching on those scales, im starting to worry and vet costs are just too much at the moment to have him go in. I'm actually in the process of rehoming him because of my housing situation i have to move to a smaller location.

Everyone has said it shouldn't get infected and should be fine aslong as i clean it daily but is there any idea on how long the healing process should take?

Could it be a calcium deficiency? I give him dark greens daily like kale and parsley and once a week i sprinkle calcium on the "salads" i give him just so he's not getting too much calcium (maybe 2-3 teaspoons a week), the weeds grow like mad in my backyard because there is no grass so he eats most of those when he chooses and grazes most of the day, he also has shade, whenever he needs it and water aswell. Man i just want him to be okay.

I know he is in his juvenile stage and is a little reckless, but i can't watch him all day to see exactly what he does and there isnt much he could be scraping his head on unless he is by my rose bush or in his burrow? Here's some updated pictures.

Attachments

• PXL_20210904_194914985.jpg
    PXL_20210904_194914985.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210904_194924120.jpg
    PXL_20210904_194924120.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210904_194925697.jpg
    PXL_20210904_194925697.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be more inclined to lean towards something biting off little pieces. . . like a rat or something. If not animal bites, then rubbing accidentally on a sharp object, like a nail sticking down, etc.