Normal Yearling Weight?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
0C6AD485-4667-49E8-BCFC-7DACF41285FC.jpeg Ask me about anything out of New Caledonia and I’m cognizant. Now I ask is Skurts weight normal? I got him last June and he was 1-2 months old. I’m guessing he’s a year now but I’m totally not educated on normal weights. Is this normal? Weight not taken after soak just after dinner.

daniellenc

Maryland
Today little Skurt is 237 grams and about 3.5-4 inches long at a year. I don’t know his weight when he arrived last June but he hatched last April/May. I’ve been scouring the forums for other yearling weights but can’t find much. I did find a post by @ZEROPILOT with a formula for normal weight. It says to take their length in centimeters cubed X 0.191. At 3.5 inches he’d be 8.9 centimeters and at 4 inches 10.16. This would make average weight between 134-200 grams. Now I know I’ve read not to worry about hatchling weight but obesity has all kinds of repercussions. He’s gained 18 grams in 3 weeks alone and looking at this formula is a bit overweight. Should I be concerned?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They grow and hatch at wildly different sizes.
As long as you're feeding correctly...And you seem to be...I'd only make sure that the growth is steady. It shows a healthy animal.
An obese tortoise would be unusual considering your varied diet.
I recently kept three littermates. Two outweighed the third by almost 50%.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The misfit baby that hatched and somehow survived out in my pen, I've noticed is especially heavy for his size. Though I have not weighed him. I only did a physical examination. (My current avatar)
And this guy has up to this point, found all of his food from just scavenging.

daniellenc

Maryland
They grow and hatch at wildly different sizes.
As long as you're feeding correctly...And you seem to be...I'd only make sure that the growth is steady. It shows a healthy animal.
An obese tortoise would be unusual considering your varied diet.
I recently kept three littermates. Two outweighed the third by almost 50%.
He gets a small piece of fruit every morning usually a papaya chunk, small strawberry, 2 raspberries, a mango chunk, or a half inch piece of banana. Just one of these on rotation at all times with his greens and weeds. In the evening he gets greens and weeds again with a rotation of cactus, bell pepper, mushroom, squash, zuchinni, mazuri 2-3 times a week, or shrimp bi-weekly. His greens are called spicy mix but are mostly arugula, radicchio, red and green leaf lettuce, mazumi lettuce, and a bunch of others I can’t identify. I also rotate weekly beet greens or radish greens mixed in to the salad greens. His weeds are rose of Sharon leaves and flowers, rose bush leaves and flowers, clover, plantain, marigold, dandelion, lilac leaves, mulberry leaves, and whatever my testudo mix is throwing that week lol it’s always a surprise. I do keep food 24 hours a day and change it twice a day but honestly he doesn’t eat a lot to me.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I feed just once a day. About what I know will get eaten.
Maybe a choice of hibiscus, cactus and fruit. That was today' dinner.
Same time every day.
I'm sure we all have a system.

daniellenc

Maryland
I feed just once a day. About what I know will get eaten.
Maybe a choice of hibiscus, cactus and fruit. That was today' dinner.
Same time every day.
I'm sure we all have a system.
Yeah his food gets super funky in his closed chamber. Looks like soup by the time I get home. His portions are about the size of him and once he’s big enough for more outdoor time I’ll probably go to once a day in the warmer months when he can graze.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He gets a small piece of fruit every morning usually a papaya chunk, small strawberry, 2 raspberries, a mango chunk, or a half inch piece of banana. Just one of these on rotation at all times with his greens and weeds. In the evening he gets greens and weeds again with a rotation of cactus, bell pepper, mushroom, squash, zuchinni, mazuri 2-3 times a week, or shrimp bi-weekly. His greens are called spicy mix but are mostly arugula, radicchio, red and green leaf lettuce, mazumi lettuce, and a bunch of others I can’t identify. I also rotate weekly beet greens or radish greens mixed in to the salad greens. His weeds are rose of Sharon leaves and flowers, rose bush leaves and flowers, clover, plantain, marigold, dandelion, lilac leaves, mulberry leaves, and whatever my testudo mix is throwing that week lol it’s always a surprise. I do keep food 24 hours a day and change it twice a day but honestly he doesn’t eat a lot to me.
I bet if you filled his bowl with nothing but tasty fruit treats you'd be surprised how much he eats! I wish I knew how old Murphy is. He was about 400 grams when I got him in January, he's about 725 grams now!

daniellenc

Maryland
Yeah he only gets about 20% fruit/flowers but I don’t want a porker lol.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I been smearing Mazuri on weeds lately and he looks at me like "Seriously human, not eating that" but I suspect he's eating weeds outside in his pen when he knows I'm not looking.

daniellenc

Maryland
Skurt went through that but last 4 days lol. And if yours is outside now he’s undoubtedly eating!

daniellenc

Maryland
I see REPASHY!
How's it going with that?
Dude he’s not keen lol. I use it every other day lightly sprinkled on one meal and he takes a few bites and leaves! It tastes like fruit (yes I tasted a bit) but hey he eats great the next day.

daniellenc

Maryland
Also considering he’s getting tons of good food I may just try twice a week. That’s papaya, mulberry, hasta, rose of Sharon leaves, dandelion, and some store greens. I throw out more than he eats lol. I think when his AP cage comes I need another to help eat all this food hehe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dude he’s not keen lol. I use it every other day lightly sprinkled on one meal and he takes a few bites and leaves! It tastes like fruit (yes I tasted a bit) but hey he eats great the next day.
So much for my glowing endorsement.
Mine acted like it wasn't even there.

daniellenc

Maryland
So much for my glowing endorsement.
Mine acted like it wasn't even there.
I left his dinner overnight and he was eating it this morning before I left so I didn't bother preparing him fresh breakfast. Usually he is basking when I get up but this morning he was already chowing down so skipping dinner had him up early and eating. I will keep trying and just leaving it. The stuff smells awesome and seriously did not taste bad. Obviously if I starve him he'll eat it, lol