Not eating after a week

Tallulah2704

Location (City and/or State)
Bideford. Devon. UK
Hi, I am new to this site and would like to ask for some advice from about my 6yr old Herman’s tortoise. She went walkabout last August and we found her in the garden awake a week ago. Initially she was quite active and had a wee and poo. But she has become more sluggish and hasn’t eaten yet. I have been bathing her in Reptoboost (glucose solution) as per my vets instructions. She has hibernated twice before one short one longer. Should I be taking her to my vet or leave for another couple of days? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming the tortoise lives in the garden? It's just probably not warm enough yet. They have to be able to warm up their inner core to at least 80F degrees before the food will digest, and if they can't get that warm, they don't eat.

Tallulah2704

Bideford. Devon. UK
I'm assuming the tortoise lives in the garden? It's just probably not warm enough yet. They have to be able to warm up their inner core to at least 80F degrees before the food will digest, and if they can't get that warm, they don't eat.
Hi thanks for your reply. i didn’t make it clear, no she has been bought indoors with appropriate lighting and heat. She usually lives indoors but has an outside enclosure during the summer months.