Elsa not eating, still sleeping

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Ok, I'm NOT really worried about my tort yet, but I AM confused! My Hermann's, Elsa, is about 6 yrs old and 6 inches long. We've had her almost 2 and a half years. She never tried to brumate until this year. Since I hadn't prepared her, we increased the heat and light in her indoor enclosure, but she wouldn't buy it, and kept burrowing in and sleeping for days. We settled on digging her up every 2-3 days: putting her under her heat lamp and putting out food. She would always eat and pee (no grainy urates) and would usually poo.
This week our temps have been in the high 70s and low 80s so I put her in her outdoor enclosure. She basks in the morning sun, then walks PAST her food to go burrow into a big pile of leaves and sleep. To the best of my knowledge she has not eaten either yesterday or today, and still just wants to sleep....
Any ideas what's going on here??!?!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can take a couple of weeks sometimes to really get back up to speed. I would do daily soaks for a couple of weeks and just keep an eye on her.

My dogs liked the cooler weather better. :)

And Hi!

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I've been worried about my guy too. He is almost a year old (march 25) and all he wants to do is sleep. I drag him out everyday and give him a bath. Usually every other day he poops. He doesn't seem very interested in food. He just takes a few bites and walks away to go and sleep. It is so worrying. :(

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've been worried about my guy too. He is almost a year old (march 25) and all he wants to do is sleep. I drag him out everyday and give him a bath. Usually every other day he poops. He doesn't seem very interested in food. He just takes a few bites and walks away to go and sleep. It is so worrying. :(
I bet he perks up as the weather warms up. Cold blooded animals are SO DIFFERENT from any others I've had... :p

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I feel like I"m trying everything. So frustrating and I feel so worried. I even bought a regular lamp to add light to his habitat just in case his heat lamp wasn't enough. I've given him dandelions, kale, zucchini, endive, radiachio, mazuri pellets, squash and he is just not interested. He just stromps back to his hiding place to sleep. He ate only a few bites of kale this morning.

I've also given him a carrot bath. sigh. I hope he'll be okay. He isn't losing weight at least. He is 95 grams and he is going to be a year old March 25th.
How is your tort today?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
She's doing better overall. She eats about every other day, gets plenty of water. She still sleeps a good bit, but also basks plenty (YAY!) and gets active in the early evenings.
I suspect the temperature fluctuations confuse her a bit, but that's life in the Real World. :)
I've decided to let her hibernate/brumate next year, once I've gotten the scoop on how to do it properly from Tom! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I feel like I"m trying everything. So frustrating and I feel so worried. I even bought a regular lamp to add light to his habitat just in case his heat lamp wasn't enough. I've given him dandelions, kale, zucchini, endive, radiachio, mazuri pellets, squash and he is just not interested. He just stromps back to his hiding place to sleep. He ate only a few bites of kale this morning.

I've also given him a carrot bath. sigh. I hope he'll be okay. He isn't losing weight at least. He is 95 grams and he is going to be a year old March 25th.
How is your tort today?
How's your guy doing?