RIP Elsa

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Well, it's been long enough that I feel up to posting this.

My eastern Hermann's tortoise, Elsa, is no longer with us.
Several months ago I notice a pink splotch on her plastron. It didn't rub off, and was clearly in the bone.
I immediately took her to the LSU veterinary school exotic animals clinic for an emergency evaluation, thinking she was septic.
At the very first physical exam, they had surprising news: "she" was actually a "HE"! During the exam, "she" had apparently flashed "her" boy parts at them!!! I was shocked to say the least! I purchased her as a female, and had her for 11 years. She had a short, stubby tail which I pointed out to the vet. He just laughed and said "sometimes that happens"!
After a further 48 hours (and $2,500) of exams and tests by multiple docs, it became apparent that whatever was causing the splotch on her plastron was VERY ominous, and her outlook was not good. There was also the possibility of risk to US from a suspected unusual multi-organism infection. We made the sad decision to euthanize her and requested a necropsy.

The necropsy report showed she had CANCER!!! It was specifically squamous cell carcinoma of the plastron. Most of it was internal: extending into her abdominal cavity and possibly up into her lung. All the vets dealing with her were dumbfounded. They said this was almost unheard of, and they asked my permission to write up a medical article about this case, to be published in a professional herpetology medical journal.

I'm just posting this to let my tortoise family know.
Farewell Elsa.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Very sorry to hear this. It is rather unusual, but I had a tortoise with cancer as well.

She was a Radiated Tortoise who got osteosarcoma of the humerus (upper arm bone) which initially looked like a swollen foreleg. I thought she had possibly gotten a splinter in her leg from the mulch substrate and the wound was becoming swollen due to infection, but unfortunately that was not the case. I took her to the exotic department at UGA Veterinary School where tests confirmed it was an invasive cancer. Therefore her foreleg was amputated at the shoulder joint, then she was fitted with a "skid" on that side of her plastron where the leg had been. She walked about on three legs and the skid and did OK for about a year before the cancer came back and I lost her.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Very sorry to hear this. It is rather unusual, but I had a tortoise with cancer as well.

She was a Radiated Tortoise who got osteosarcoma of the humerus (upper arm bone) which initially looked like a swollen foreleg. I thought she had possibly gotten a splinter in her leg from the mulch substrate and the wound was becoming swollen due to infection, but unfortunately that was not the case. I took her to the exotic department at UGA Veterinary School where tests confirmed it was an invasive cancer. Therefore her foreleg was amputated at the shoulder joint, then she was fitted with a "skid" on that side of her plastron where the leg had been. She walked about on three legs and the skid and did OK for about a year before the cancer came back and I lost her.
So sorry for the loss of your radiated.❤️

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Several months ago I notice a pink splotch on her plastron. It didn't rub off, and was clearly in the bone.
I immediately took her to the LSU veterinary school exotic animals clinic for an emergency evaluation, thinking she was septic.
At the very first physical exam, they had surprising news: "she" was actually a "HE"! During the exam, "she" had apparently flashed "her" boy parts at them!!! I was shocked to say the least! I purchased her as a female, and had her for 11 years. She had a short, stubby tail which I pointed out to the vet. He just laughed and said "sometimes that happens"!
After a further 48 hours (and $2,500) of exams and tests by multiple docs, it became apparent that whatever was causing the splotch on her plastron was VERY ominous, and her outlook was not good. There was also the possibility of risk to US from a suspected unusual multi-organism infection. We made the sad decision to euthanize her and requested a necropsy.

The necropsy report showed she had CANCER!!! It was specifically squamous cell carcinoma of the plastron. Most of it was internal: extending into her abdominal cavity and possibly up into her lung. All the vets dealing with her were dumbfounded. They said this was almost unheard of, and they asked my permission to write up a medical article about this case, to be published in a professional herpetology medical journal.

Farewell Elsa.
Wow I'm so sorry. I hope the veterinarians will add some research combined with their knowledge in the paper. Hopefully Elsa's passing at least helps other tortoises.

Kolar,karnataka,india

Farewell Elsa.
So sorry for your loss