Not Eating Greens

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I have been giving Kona spring mix as a substitute for grass and weeds during the winter. She has stopped eating anything green that I give her. She won't eat the grass I gave her recently either. She just picks off the food I put on top (which is usually pepper, carrots, mazuri, chicken or sometimes fruit). I have tried just feeding the lettuce by itself and that didn't work so I squirted grape juice on it. She tried it but she didn't like it after about two days. I don't know what I should do. She is starting to loose weight. I don't think it is a medical issue because she eats everything else that I have given her.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Do you have to "try" upping your temperature, or can it be done easily? What temps is she at at the moment?
Have you checked the diet sheet for redfoots? Lettuce is a poor food item with practically no nutrition. They like it, and will fill up on it and get nothing from it, and be too full to eat other more nutritious food that is there.

New York
Do you have to "try" upping your temperature, or can it be done easily? What temps is she at at the moment?
Have you checked the diet sheet for redfoots? Lettuce is a poor food item with practically no nutrition. They like it, and will fill up on it and get nothing from it, and be too full to eat other more nutritious food that is there.
Kona's temperature is 85-90 degrees. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant "try" as in seeing if this would help her eat her greens for I just need to adjust the thermostat. I have read the diet sheet for redfoots but Kona will not eat the greens. But, she will eat vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Take some greens, and fruit and chop it up real fine, then mix it together with some mashed Mazuri. So it's kind of like a mush. I have one that doesn't really like greens so I do this 2-3 times a week to make sure he's eating some.

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
I have been giving Kona spring mix as a substitute for grass and weeds during the winter. She has stopped eating anything green that I give her. She won't eat the grass I gave her recently either. She just picks off the food I put on top (which is usually pepper, carrots, mazuri, chicken or sometimes fruit). I have tried just feeding the lettuce by itself She is starting to loose weight. I don't think it is a medical issue because she eats everything else that I have given her.

My red foot baby started out eating well and then got picky. His fecal from a routine vet visit showed a parasite that the vet says causes poor appetite. So I have been watching him eat to make sure he does.
Getting better hope your girl does too quickly.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Kona's temperature is 85-90 degrees. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant "try" as in seeing if this would help her eat her greens for I just need to adjust the thermostat. I have read the diet sheet for redfoots but Kona will not eat the greens. But, she will eat vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes.

Some may jump on my case but these guys are also fruit eaters whenever they find it on the ground and mine also like some canned cat food now and then. Try some banana for fruit as it's cheap and easy.

New York
My red foot baby started out eating well and then got picky. His fecal from a routine vet visit showed a parasite that the vet says causes poor appetite. So I have been watching him eat to make sure he does.
Getting better hope your girl does too quickly.
Thank you. I really hope it isn’t parasites and she is just picky. I have been mixing her favorites in with her greens and she is eating better.

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
I sure hope not too. My Flash was exposed to a bad parasite from the pet shop. I knew better than to get a tortoise baby from one of ‘those places’. So have felt stupid and afraid of losing him. And it is not only red footed but my friend with ‘baby Sucata’ got hers from the same place.

So if your Kona is not a baby and did not come from such overcrowded situation I doubt it. It does not hurt to check just about everything tho. I well recall when it was hard to get him to eat just about anything. Perhaps the antibiotic and worming doses the vet gave me to give him did some good but getting it into the mouth of that baby was super hard.
But then when you are a tortoise novice like me all new things like that seem nearly impossible yet they still get done

I bet you will do great with the determination and love for Kona you have

P