Not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsho07

5 Year Member
I just got my 6 yr old yellow foot tortoise on Sunday and she has not ate anything yet. Is this normal since shes in a new place or should I be worried? I have offered her greens, dandylions, different fruits and she hasnt touched any of it. I let her roam around out side for a while and I saw her take a bite at a leaf but didnt eat it.

M

Maggie Cummings

It takes a while for tortoises to get used to their new house. They are stressed out from moving and from seeing strangers. I wouldn't worry too much as long as your husbandry is good. She will eat when she's relaxed and feels comfortable...they can go a long long time without eating, but that doesn't mean you should let her. It just means don't worry about it yet.

M

martine4161

Sometimes the pets behave like the humans. Your pet is new in your house so it can take some time for the routine life. You just take care of it that it can be comfortable in your house.

J

Joneswilliamsc

martine4161 said:
Sometimes the pets behave like the humans. Your pet is new in your house so it can take some time for the routine life.

Well I agree with him. As I also think the same. Its new for your home and it will take time to set with you as well as with you family. But still you have to take care of it properly to eat them.

samsho07

5 Year Member
I havent been on in a while. When it finally warmed up and the temps didnt get too low at night we made her an outdoor enclosure. She continued to just pick at her food.. Mostly only touched the strawberries. This morning she was fine walking around and in her little pool. Some time in the last couple hours she died. Could this be because she wasnt eating enough or got too hot out there?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I'm sorry to hear that :(

I'm afraid she was sick when you got her (tortoises don't usually die in a week). She probably had a protozoan problem in her intestines. This usually puts tortoises off their food (as the protozoans make it hard to digest the food). You should always bring new tortoises to get checked by a qualified reptle vet when you get them. You should also bring a fresh stool sample but if thats not possible have the vet do a swab or intestinal flush.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry this happened. You had no way of knowing the tortoise was sick when you got it. You did the best you could.

samsho07

5 Year Member
Thank you. I was feeling pretty bad thinking I wasnt doing something right. I would like to get another tortiose sometime so I will definitly get him or her checked out next time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only experience I have with Yellowfoot tortoises comes from tortoises that were confiscated in a very large shipment and distributed through the TSA (Turtle Survival Alliance). I received a male and a female from the confiscation. Both of them eventually wasted away and died. I DID de-worm them, but their feces was always very runny and full of mucous...which led me to believe they were infested with the protozoa-type parasites. So, I don't know if YF are prone to this kind of infestation or it was just because mine came from a large confiscation and they were piled up on top of each other in dirty circumstances while they waited to be distributed.

At any rate, it never hurts to de-worm them and keep at it until the fecal exam shows them to be fairly clear of eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.