Not eating

Amaripop

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I just got my Testudo tort this Thursday past and since then she hasn’t eaten. I have her carrots, apples, and the tort pellets the lady offered at Petsmart. She has a heat lamp that i keep on for her, food, and water. All she does is sleep and hide…im just thinking she’s still trying to adjust into her new home

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not feed fruit or the carrots as a steady diet, fruit never. Broad leafy greens and weeds that are tort safe is what's needed. The pet stores don't have a clue on proper care of tortoises. It needs a incandescent flood bulb for basking and a tube florescent for uvb. A ceramic heat emitter for added day heat if needed or night heat if needed. No lights on at night.
Tortoises will take some time to get used to its new home. Get the enclosure right, with proper lighting, temps, humidity 50% for adults and proper diet and some plants for cover and it will help to make her more comfortable.
Please read the care sheet on this forum for the Mediterranean species.

Amaripop

South Carolina
image.jpgThis is her home (as of right now until i get more things) this tank is 40 gallon and it came with everything that’s in there including the lamp.
Also thank you for your info!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly you got sold all the wrong stuff just about. The enclosure is too small for an adult Russian. He needs a 4x8 foot minimum.
The disc thermometer is not reliable and it needs to be at tortoise height.
The bulb you are using. If it's a coil bulb (cfl) or a mercury vapor bulb, it should not be used.
You need a tube florescent for uvb, incandescent flood bulb for basking and a ceramic heat emitter for any needed day or night heat.
The biggest thing is the enclosure. If he doesn't get enough room to roam, he will not be able to walk properly and could get bound up inside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got my Testudo tort this Thursday past and since then she hasn’t eaten. I have her carrots, apples, and the tort pellets the lady offered at Petsmart. She has a heat lamp that i keep on for her, food, and water. All she does is sleep and hide…im just thinking she’s still trying to adjust into her new home
Hello and welcome. You've got a Russian tortoise there.

Good tips from Wellington. Here are more: