Please Help. My tortoise isn’t eating.

Finneyy_8

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey everyone! So my tortoise hasn’t eaten in a week. I first noticed that her shell had gotten a little soft on her belly and then a little bit around the sides. So I got a UV lamp because I was told that she wasn’t getting enough sunlight which I would put her by the windows as much as the sun was out every day. But the UV has helped some more better without her heat lamp on and since then she hasn’t ate. She drank a lot one day that I have seen but will not eat and hasn’t been moving very much or al long around any. Please help so nothing happens to my girl. Her name is Rose. And she is about 5-6 months. She was 3 months when I got her. And I am not sure what kind of tortoise she is.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
UVb does not go thru glass or fine mesh screen. So, without a uvb light and not taking her outside for sun light, she hasn't gotten any.
In order to properly care for an animal, you have to know what kind it is! Google searches could have helped with that.
Post a picture of her and we can better help you
In the mean time, until we ID it, keep the enclosure at 80F day and night with a basking spot of 95-100.
The uvb needs to come from a tube florescent not any of the mercury bulbs, halogen or cfl coil type bulbs.

Finneyy_8

North Carolina
This is her. And I had asked the breeder I got her from what kind she was but he did not answer. And we have a small inclosure we put her in to put her in the sunlight so it shines on her. It’s cold outside so we can not take her outside. Up until a week ago she has been fine. Moving around all the time eating normal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a sulcata tortoise. It needs to be in a closed chamber enclosure with orchid bark or coconut coir as the substrate. Temps like I already said and humidity of 80% all ASAP as it's already starting to pyramid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is her. And I had asked the breeder I got her from what kind she was but he did not answer. And we have a small inclosure we put her in to put her in the sunlight so it shines on her. It’s cold outside so we can not take her outside. Up until a week ago she has been fine. Moving around all the time eating normal.
If the sun shines on her thru your window glass and screen she is not getting any uvb! Both the glass and screen blocks it.

Finneyy_8

North Carolina
Oh no. He did not tell me any of this. Definitely have to make some adjustments for her. Please tell me everything I need to do. My family and I have grown attached to her and do not want anything to happen to her

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The bulb on the left is wrong and can cause eye issues and is not good for giving any UV. Replace with a tube florescent that gives off uvb. I can't see what the other bulb is but I can tell there is no way it is warm enough in that enclosure. Also do not use the clamps, they fail and either burn the tort or causes fires.
You need to get things changed up to the proper way ASAP! before it's too late

Finneyy_8

North Carolina
The bulb on the left is wrong and can cause eye issues and is not good for giving any UV. Replace with a tube florescent that gives off uvb. I can't see what the other bulb is but I can tell there is no way it is warm enough in that enclosure. Also do not use the clamps, they fail and either burn the tort or causes fires.
You need to get things changed up to the proper way ASAP! before it's too late
Can u send me a picture of the correct uvb I need please. I’m gonna make all these adjustments today because I do not want anything happening to her.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is what we put her in so we can put her in the sun close to the window. It does shine on her but it’s not enough is it?
Again, if you don't have the window and screen out of the way, she is not getting any UV from the sun. Also, it's never good to put a tortoise or any animal in the sun with no way to get into shade.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can also make a fairly cheap closed chamber enclosure out of the greenhouse type enclosure in the pic, using a tarp as the floor, to put the substrate on.
Screenshot_20231228-154220.png