Not eating

Leolady65

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi! I was just given a male 6yr old Russian Tortoise. He has not eaten for a week. No poop probably because he hasn’t eaten. I’m soaking him for 15-20 minutes every day so he stays hydrated. He’s in an 55gal aquarium for now. I covered the outside so he can’t see out. He’s got a t5 uvb I just changed, his hot side is between 90-95 his cold spot is about 80. I’ve been offering him kale, radicchio, baby lettuces, wheat grass. He was fed romaine and broccoli before. I have no access to weeds. I do work at Whole Foods. I have a vet appointment but not till Dec1. Help I’m in full panic mode!

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
It takes time for torts to adjust to new environments so he made need some time. Also 55gal sounds kinda small for a 6yr old russian, minimum he'd need a 4x8 foot enclosure as walking around aids in the digestion. Please read through the caresheet for these guys and come back with additional questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree with above. Too small enclosure and give him time. Adults can take a long time to get used to new place.
Let temps drop into 60's at night.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi! I was just given a male 6yr old Russian Tortoise. He has not eaten for a week. No poop probably because he hasn’t eaten. I’m soaking him for 15-20 minutes every day so he stays hydrated. He’s in an 55gal aquarium for now. I covered the outside so he can’t see out. He’s got a t5 uvb I just changed, his hot side is between 90-95 his cold spot is about 80. I’ve been offering him kale, radicchio, baby lettuces, wheat grass. He was fed romaine and broccoli before. I have no access to weeds. I do work at Whole Foods. I have a vet appointment but not till Dec1. Help I’m in full panic mode!
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for rescuing him. There's a lot to digest in the care sheet. know you're stressed that he's not eating. But torts can go a while without eating & be ok, especially since you're keeping him hydrated.

How better can it get that you work at Whole Foods. Make immediate friends with the Produce Manager if you're not already. You can use the romaine lettuce to entice him to try other greens by chopping them up into tiny pieces & mixing in with the romaine. You can also try feeding him Mazuri Tortoise Diet (original formula, not LS), which are large nuggets you soften in water, once or twice a week. Most torts luv it. If not available at a pet store, you can order it online at Chewy or Petco or other sites.

We love photos, so post some. We are here to help!!