not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

dav3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
110220-143440.jpghey :) my leo is about 2 years old and is called :tort:squirtle:D he was really underweight when i got him 5.5 inchs 250g but i been trying to get his weight up for the last month and hes now 450g so its all good now:p ok now heres the problem hes not been eating the last 3 days and im worried he does take a few nibbles 110220-143525.jpgoh also he is walking about fine and his shell is still perfect:)

please help
:(

Last edited by a moderator:

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Glad to see that he's gained weight. I wouldn't worry too much now, but I would monitor him closely. Try a nice warm soak, followed immediately with his favirite foods. Mine are usually ready to eat right after a bath. I'd offer a variety (maybe he's getting bored with his current food). If he just eats a little, and walks away, I would offer something else awhile later. Even if he's sleeping, pick him up and put him in front of food. Even if he only eats a bite or two, it's a start. Watch for any other possible symptoms, and keep us informed. He's a beauty, by the way. Good Luck.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A tortoise that size can go a few days without eating much. How was his appatite before you noticed he was not eating?

Do you live in an area where he can get outside during the day?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's what I'd do:
1. Bump up your temps 10-15 degrees and see what that does. Does he bask? Is he always on one side or the other? Are you using a coil type florescent UV bulb?
2. A nice long (45 minutes or so) warm soak. Even if he starts trying to climb out, leave him in there. Make sure the water stays warm and refresh as needed if he poops. The combo of the warm water and the activity will often get things in the GI tract moving. I like the water to be around 90 and I check it with a thermometer. How it "feels" can be very subjective.
3. Sunshine in a large outdoor pen if possible, whenever the weather permits.

200 grams is quite a lot to gain for a 250 gram tortoise in one month. Seems like he might have been dehydrated and hungry. 450 is still pretty light for a 5.5" high domed tortoise like a leopard. Seems like you are getting things better, but something was definitely "off" and it ought to be cause for concern even now.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Nice Tort. I hope he starts eating soon

Trivium !:D

Status
Not open for further replies.