Not for the kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Not the same as seeing a 150lb sulcata produce his manhood, rub it all over the ground while grunting a groaning until he um, well, you know the endgame...

In other words, no, the liquid is most likely NOT urine. :p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Good question! Initially, I thought it was urine...just from the quantity! But the viscosity had me thinking something else! I've seen that much 'fluid' come out of a tortoise...but it's never been that white. I'm laughing that the owner (or their friend) almost got a facial :p

For the record...the Dean that shot this video is not me...nor in anyway related to me;)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
DeanS said:
Good question! Initially, I thought it was urine...just from the quantity! But the viscosity had me thinking something else! I've seen that much 'fluid' come out of a tortoise...but it's never been that white. I'm laughing that the owner (or their friend) almost got a facial :p

For the record...the Dean that shot this video is not me...nor in anyway related to me;)

Thats funny, guess it's better to get that answer out of the way before someone ask's...:p

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, that was fascinating. Excellent footage of a male tortoise's member. I have never seen it in such detail, so it was really interesting to see what it looks like and how it behaves (even if the commentary in the background was less than scientific). As for the white liquid, it was indeed semen. Male tortoises do not need to extrude their penis to urinate; the penis releases urine while still mostly contracted, and the urine simply comes out of the cloaca, much like in females.

BTW - I really think that big male sulcata needs a female sulcata for a partner!

While we're on the subject of tortoise mating behavior, here's a video that may be of a little less scientific value, but at least as much entertainment value:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjezOvabgoA[/youtube]

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Are you serious Dean? One of the funniest things written on this forum...

DeanS said:
I'm laughing that the owner (or their friend) almost got a facial :p

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I know this is probably a stupid question, but is it common for a male to be aroused when there is no female around? That just seems unusual to me. Also, those people are weird. That poor guy is having a very personal moment, and they are mocking him right in front of him. It made me feel bad for him. Get the poor guy a date.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
JeffG said:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but is it common for a male to be aroused when there is no female around? That just seems unusual to me. Also, those people are weird. That poor guy is having a very personal moment, and they are mocking him right in front of him. It made me feel bad for him. Get the poor guy a date.

I asked a similar question when our male steppe tortoise did a similar thing, and here are the responses: "Why did he do that?" Sounds like it's a fairly common occurrence across species. We even have a female, but they haven't mated yet. Either they are not old enough (only about 4 inches long), or they need to hibernate first. Anyway, I kind of agree with you about that big sulcata. I don't know that tortoises can feel embarrassment, but I do think he needs a mating partner.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
OWMIGAWD!!!!!
LMAO!! That vid is astoundingly fascinating/funny/educational all at once! What an enthusiastic exhibitionist! lol and the reactions are pricless! lol

Thanks!!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Glad everyone enjoyed this video as much as me, definitely a learning experience for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.